1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played a Dingwall D-Bird today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sedan_dad, Feb 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I got the chance to check out a Dingwall D-Bird today. WOW. First impressions, light, resonate ,solid. Did I say light? The fan frets were no issue at at. I didn't even notice them when I played it. It was finished in a rich purple. It felt very comfortable. The neck felt perfect. The sustain was stupid good. Volume, 5-way selector switch,Tone. 3- pick up. It was cool. It was cool. WOW.

2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Buy it.

dtsamples likes this.
  3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Nice! I'm jealous. Can you get a T-bird-like tone out of it?

4. Same question. Plus, what is the price tag? Photos?

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    avrjqs0fvl6xvxz0q4uv.
    From what I've read, they go for just under $4200

5StringPocket and RBPCRC like this.
  6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm curious where/how you got to play one. Other than Sheldon sometimes letting one stay at a Candian L&M for a few days, and Rob van der Loo's, I didn't think any were actually out in the wild yet. Also curious about the tone question too :)

wintremute likes this.
  7. blu-snafu

blu-snafu Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Indeed! I recently bought an afterburner 2 (cocobolo top, walnut neck, wenge fret board) off of the classified page. Blown away by the tone, the monstrous low B, crisp highs....Amazing Bass (how sweet the sound!).

wintremute likes this.
  8. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Tom Bowlus...

9. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    All Dingwalls are this way.

joebar likes this.
  10. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Retail starts around $3500

11. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    There's an 18 month wait list ;)

12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    A fellow TB member owns the bass in question; he also has a standard TB, but it has single coils in it.

The 4 way switch is different from the standard 3x switch and gives you, front to back: all three pickups, middle pickup soloed, middle and bridge, bridge soloed.

The front setting sounds unlike anything else I've ever heard, in a great way, with incredible punch and throatiness; I actually liked it so much I asked for a switch to put in my SJ3X for A/B testing :thumbsup:

13. alienstarguest

alienstarguest

May 30, 2009
    Dang, another obscene bass from Dingwall. I used to want a T-Bird, but couldn't justify what IMO was a rather narrow slice of what I do. This opens a door that was basically closed because I'd probably be able to justify this one's presence in my stable. Then again, if he keeps up this type of activity, I will be living in a shed in the desert with a dozen Dingwalls. At least I wouldn't be lonely.

In all seriousness, this is a very logical move for a bass like this to be part of the Dingwall inventory. I won't be shocked when a bass resembling a MM StingRay is added to the mix within the next couple of years.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  14. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    The cutaway looks like it's hard to play anything beyond the 16th fret.....

If I have to say/ask such a thing, am I even qualified to own a T bird Or D bird?

15. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    That is gas inducing.

16. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    It should not be a wannabe shredder 's bass :)

17. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I thought it felt very comfortable and looked striking. Very classy without coming off as a coffee table with strings.

18. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Neck dive?

19. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Sexy looking bass, like it.
    Serious question though: as I have moved from regular scale to short scale basses( hand cramping at fretting low F and octave for instance) would the fanned fret design be easier for me to play without discomfort?

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just curious, but are you referring to the bass currently down at the Fifth Avenue Fretshop, in Columbus, Ohio? That is the one we are reviewing, and seeing as how I also own a Gibson Thunderbird with single coils, my ears were burning a little bit as I read this. ;)

FWIW, I was thoroughly impressed with the D-bird on the gig. I know that Sheldon did not specifically set out to build a bass that sounds like a Gibson T-bird, but I was able to get some of my favorite T-bird tones out of the D-bird. Of course, the D-bird can get some tones which my T-bird can't really cop, such as kind of a Stingray vibe. Here are some shots from the last gig:

16665318_10212567030157601_2438749409557902783_o_zps8vwhni0o.

16683944_10104223499719710_7113021588629509018_n_zps71ji2mrl.

16681996_10158390060580637_8827307219963094590_n_zpshae2zkqh.

RedVee, kittywithabanjo and GregC like this.