Played a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V FMT the other day...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sofa King, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I was mulling around Brook Mays the other day, playing with some toys before I bought some speaker cable. Usually they'll have one American Fender up on the wall, and the rest MIM Fenders, and some Ibanez basses. Well, that day they happened to have the AMD V FMT up. Now, the only other 5 string fender jazz I played was a MIM standard, and it wasn't too impressive...

I picked this baby up, and woah. The neck fit my hand like a glove, and the b-string was to die for. Better than the B on my 35" BTB. Acoustically it had a good tone, the strings were new and somewhat brighter than I liked, but it still had a good deep tone to it. Plugged in... wow. It had this nice punchy, listen to me! kind of sound. And the volume and clarity of the notes didn't change between the b-string and the others.

Look wise... well... it had a fairly decent flamed maple top on it, the gold hardware looked real nice with the finish on it. I loved the block inlays. Fairly beautiful bass, I must say!

I played around with the eq on it too much, and I really didn't like it. I just set the controls to the mid position and played with the pickup balance mostly. It's not that the tone controls were bad, I'm just used to playing with passive jazz basses.

Overall, I was very impressed! I loved it! Wish I could afford the $1300 price tag on it! Any other Fender American Deluxe FMT bass owners out there? I'd love to see your bass and hear what you think of it as an owner :)

(I also had a chance to play with some MIM jazz and p-basses. The jazz basses sound pretty much ordinary, nothing special. The p-bass I played, though, had a great sound to it. I was pretty suprised with it. I need to get my paws on a p-bass one these days ;))
  2. The Deluxe Jazzs are excellent. I own a American Deluxe Jazz 5 (which is the FMT without the fancy gold hardware and maple top but costs like 300 less) and it is an amazing bass. The pickups are of extremely high quality and the neck is very well crafted and comfertable. If you can afford one they are very much worth the money.
  3. oh yes and I forgot to say that not only is this a great sounding bass it is (in my opinion) prettier than the FMT's with a sunburst finish. I also have been playing the thing for six months now and it continues to amaze me with its tone. Finally, I have found that it can play ANY style of music and sounds great for all techniques (fingerstyle, pick, slap, tapping anything). Check out my review for more info.
  4. When I was looking to upgrade from my squier precision 5 I tried the mia jazz5 first but did not like the neck , it was quite a bit wider than the p at the nut , I then tried the mim jazz5 and found it much nicer to play , through the trace elliot GP12SMX I was using at the time on flat there was no real difference in sound , I bought the mim , sunburst with a tortoiseshell plate and I love it to bits :D

Over here in the UK the mia is about £1000 where as the mim is about £650 , the price was not an issue I just found the neck nicer to play :)