1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played a Fender jazz...should I buy online?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Surly, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Well basically, I played on some kind of Fender Deluxe Jazz Made in U.S.A. I totally fell in love with the feel and sound. I'm not sure which exact model it is, but it did not have a pick guard. Definitely an older instrument. Also it may not have had stock pickups. Just had a beautiful tone, slapping, picking, jamming RATM or any rock sounded good. My question is, would you go online a buy one similar if you were me? They're like $1279, so it's kinda heafty. I was at a local store and all they had were MIM's at the time. Also it would be nice to get a color that I like. Just wondering you're thoughts. Thanks.

2. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I have two Fender basses, both fine examples of the brand. I chose those two after going through countless others. Do not buy one unless you can play it first and be sure its right for you. This applies to all instrument brands even the higher end ones like Sadowsky etc etc.

3. If you can play it first, go that route!! Subtle variations from instrument to instrument do occur. ;)

4. fhbandy

fhbandy

May 22, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I still have yet picked up a Fender (MIM/MIJ/MIA, anything) in any Boston guitar store that I enjoyed the feel of as much as the MIM deluxe j that I poked and prodded for. When I next fall in love with a bass, I will be buying THAT bass.

5. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Yeah I understand...I'm just dying to own one now. Guess I'll have to wait to get something which is right for me.

6. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Six of my seven basses were bought online, and I haven't gotten a bad one yet. Of course, that's no guarantee that the next one I buy online won't turn out to be a lemon.

I'd say if you want to try buying online, make sure it's through a store that'll let you return it if you don't like it.

7. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Take this quote from and old fart like me, you'll thank me for it :D

"Buy in haste, repent at leisure"

8. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Yeah MusiciansFriend allows returns, but it could be $20-$40 to ship it back...nahh

I think I will follow Mr. Stox's advice...:lol:

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Well I have had very good luck buying online. I've gotten Fender 60's Classic Jazz (MIM), a Standard Jazz Fretless (MIM), a Geddy Lee Jazz (CIJ), a Active P-Bass Special (MIM) and a 62' RI Jazz Fretless (CIJ) all online.

Everyone was great without any issues!

The only bass I ever had to return was a the Korean Fender Jazz 24. It was more of a cosmetic issue (crappy looking quilted maple). The bass itself was very solid and well built.

10. I did buy one instrument sight unseen, my Peavey Cirrus, that was bought from a TBer. It was a good deal (as they all are), and having read so many things about those basses I wasn't too concerned. Having a TBer say that it plays great, and knowing it is probably set up correctly and was cared for means alot.

Now that I think about it, I also bought a used Stu Hamm Urge sight unseen from a dealer on the internet. That purchase worked okay as well.

That being said, Fender Jazz basses are so common that any music store in your area should have a handful, and if you're willing to drive a bit, you should be able to try out a whole mess of them and find one that you really like...

11. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Anymore, I'd NEVER buy anything new from a store with the exception of strings and picks and stuff like that. Sometimes it can be a crap-shoot buying online but at the same time you can get a really sweet instrument for a good deal.

Consider a Warwick Thumb neckthrough 4-banger: musiciansfriend.com has them for over $3K and Guitar Center is over $3K too. But you can buy one for around $2K or less depending on age used and there's no difference between the two.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    i firmly disagree with buying any bass online or sight ubseen unless it is a steal or budget. I bought SX online...good and cheap and a LTD on ebay again great and cheap but had little money out for the chance.

When it comes to Fender jazzes and i own several i must play them and ohand pick them each. I have lined up as many as 4 and each one was the exact same model but each had a diffrent feel and tone. I say to each his own but to me a bass needs to be heard, felt and played before bought unless its budget or custom....thats also why i wont go custom.

13. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I hear ya. Like you said I have bought budget basses online with good results.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    American Musical Supply. A friend of mine orders three of the same thing, and sends two back. Very liberal return policy.

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    This has been touched on here (in this thread) a bit already...

But most online stores have a good return policy. When I buy a bass online, it is always with the expectation that a decent setup will be needed, thats a given.

if something is wrong, and I mean really wrong, it goes back. If I never played a bass from that mfr and it didn't feel right in my hands etc, I'd first try to turn it (sell it outright) or send it back if I didn't think it was a sellable bass.

I think buying 3 of everything is a smart move and then pick the best, but few folks have that kind of cash laying about....I don't know that I would buy 3 - 700 dollar basses and I know I wouldn't buy 3 - 1200 dollar basses just to pick the cherry....

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021