Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a few basses; felt like telling ya about it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedV, Jul 6, 2002.

1. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Well, I went out with a friend yesterday and just HAD to try out a few things I hadn't before hand.

MusicMan Stingray

4 string, black on black. Not a bad bass, but I didn't like the feel of the neck. Don't know what it was, but it just didn't do it for me. Nice to finally play one though.:)

Ken Smith

6 string and a 5 string. I must say these basses look WAY better in person. I've never been a fan of them on the internet but they looked killer in person. Quality was top notch and the necks were pretty fast. They didn't have a poly coat, just an oil finish and I loved it. The tones I got out of these things were INCREDIBLE. I really like these.(too bad they were in the 2K range:p)

Modulus Q5

NICE BASS. That's all I can say. I couldn't tell a difference in the composite neck's feel, but tonewise I sure could. And I LIKED it! It didn't have that jazz bass growl, but it had something else; something more modern. It sounded killer and the action was just right for tapping. Quality again was top notch.

Spector NS4

I liked this as well. The neck wasn't too chunky and it felt perfect in my hands for slap. This particular bass though had some problems with the electronics. It would distort really easily. But the bass felt nice and the tone when it didn't distort was great...hard to describe; kinda farty but in a good way. I liked this as well:)

Peavey Cirrus 6

I liked this one A LOT! I understand now what you guys are always talking about. Construction was pretty much flawless, the tone was AMAZING, the action was just right for tapping, the neck was flat as a board, and my fears of not having enough room on a 17.5mm string spacing to slap have been laid to rest:D It also had a MUCH tighter, clearer B string than ANY of the other basses I played...even the Smith. I was really surprised at that. This was my favorite of the day and it was only $1400. If I'd had the money(or a card) on me I would have left with that bass.

Well, that was my adventure for the day. I had a BLAST. It's so much different actually getting to play these things as opposed to seeing them online. Now all I have to do is make a trip to Bass Central.

HEY GARD!!! When's your LEAST busiest day?? I have scholarship checks coming in early fall and need a good way to put them to use:)

Alex

2. RedV....I think you had better go back and play the MM Stingray one more time.:D

3. You should check out the MM Sterling. It has a thinner, Jazz-style neck. I bet you'd like it better.

4. Bassman1185.... Sterlings are a cool too... It's weird but I have about 5 Fenders and 4 of them have Jazz necks ,,I recently bought a MM Stingray. .. For some reason I like the Rays beefy neck. I can pull off some really sweet riffs that I couldn't do on my Jazzer sizer necks????? It must be the string spacing or something...

5. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Right now my main bass is a Jazz, and I DO prefer the jazz neck, so maybe you're right:) Oh well, just one more good excuse to go play some more basses:D

Alex

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Cirrus is a great bass. I'm glad you had a chance to evaluate it prior to playing the basses at Bass Central. Only there, all the great basses are floor level. Too bad about the MM neck. I like it.