1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

played a few basses i REALLY liked today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Nov 4, 2018.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i went to guitar center today, but on the way i met up with TBer kohanmike who kindly let me re-try his double four and his new aquila bass. and you know what? the little aquila REALLY sounds like an upright with mike's favorite flats - it gave me chills. awesome bass, particularly with those strings, and thanks to an awesome guy!

then off to west l.a. guitar center. i was actually there checking out amps, and maybe it's the room but everything sounded a little boomy and unclear to me. so off to the acoustic room where i tried the ibanez parlor acoustic bass, which is nice, but my husband handed me a guild jumbo junior bass, and wowzers! how do they pack all that tone into a 23.75" scale bass? not as comfortable to play as the ibanez parlor bass, though. but i kept playing it anyway till my shoulder started to hurt.

while my husband was looking at guitar parts, i headed back to the bass room and just happened to pick up a thunderbird - and Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV. i've played a fair number of epi and gibson thunderbirds, but this one wowed me. yes, it was heavy, although not as heavy as some including the used one right next to it. but that tone! words actually fail me - it's like there was more tone in every note. a more serious bass tone. more deep but very clear musicality, crisp mids. and that doesn't really describe it, but words actually fail me. but i had a wonderful time playing it :)

while i was there i also checked out two mini strats for weight. the older one with the front plug weighed a little more than the newer version with the side plug. i'd say they both weight around 5 pounds. i think i'd rather get a small bass than do a conversion, but they're an option.

btw, there's a used 5-string sadowsky in the bass room.

JES, Florinda4, MCF and 9 others like this.
  2. Torrance?

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    west l.a. on pico and westwood. we did lawndale GC and torrance sam ash and both GC and SA in hollywood all recently, but west l.a. has the separate bass room, which i like. haven't made it to sherman oaks recently.

4. filler83

filler83 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I tried a used Epiphone classic IV thunderbird at the guitar center in central Houston a few weeks ago when I was there for work. It played awesome!

MCF and pcake like this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    yeah!

i didn't think the neck looked comfortable but it was. and it was surprisingly well balanced for sitting with, too.

but mostly that sound!

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    @kohanmike: did you get the replacement Aquila ShortBassONE? Very curious about your impressions of it.
    [For the uninitiated:
    Guitar Scale Acoustic Basses
    Sub-Short Scale Talk
    New Acoustic Bass guitar the Shortbass One! Small, LOUD! ]

Groove Doctor likes this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    So even the broken one shows promise with the La Bella MBLS flats, eh? Glad to know!

pcake likes this.
  9. I always preferred the Sherman Oaks location when I was living in LA. They used to have a great selection. I went to the Phoenix store last night and it was very disappointing. Nothing of any real interest at all, and the selection of amps was either Markbass or Fender Rumbles :/

10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    it sounded great, and unbelievably standup like through his double four.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  11. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I had a Classic IV Pro, it was excellent in every way (real Gibby USA 'buckers of course). Now I have a Vintage Pro as part of my collection, it is a very different animal but magical as well, great basses, both of them.

MCF likes this.
  12. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I emailed Aquila Thursday and received a reply today. Luca tells me they're not able to get the bass past US Customs because of CITES, that they're going to give me a refund. I think it's bull because the first one came through. At that time he said the delay was because of UPS, then it was because of the Italian Ministry Office, then this time he blames US Customs, but he also said before that they ship the bass to the US often with no problems. It seems to me they might not want to spend more money on shipping and cut their loses by just doing a refund and won't own up to it.

I did add the tailpiece, chrome tuners and the La Bella/Gold Tone flatwounds as Pcake mentioned, which sounds very good. I made the rosewood section of the tailpiece, went through three iterations until I got the string spacing right, but it might be too flexible for the tension of the steel strings. I feel like the action at the bridge needs to be lowered, which I can do by slotting the bridge, and also means I could use the original narrow metal crosspiece on the tail.

I would really like to have a bass without cracks, but since I get a free bass out of this, OK fine.

Aquila done 900.
    chrome open trapeze tailpiece 200.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    MCF likes this.
  13. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I hesitate to "like" the post, because of the replacement debacle, but thank you very much for the rest of it. :)

14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Going to pick up that Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV?

pcake likes this.
  15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    cedar isn't a CITES wood, but is that a rosewood neck and or bridge? if so, that IS a CITES wood. at a guess, they don't keep the history of the wood on paper, which is needed to get it through customs.

right now i'm working on amp and/or tone, but if i can further rehab my shoulder, it's possible.

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    :thumbsup:.

pcake and lowdownthump like this.
  17. My guitarist and I need to make a day out of hitting all the LA area Guitar Centers. We only live up in Bakersfield.

18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    if you do, the remodeled hollywood guitar center had a few really interesting and unusual pieces the other week. i don't like the new floor layout, but i did like seeing basses and guitars i don't usually see.

Destroyer661 likes this.
  19. Anything pointy with active electronics and I'm there hahaha

pcake likes this.
  20. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

The fretboard and bridge are rosewood. I just got an email from Mimmo, the owner of Aquila, he offered to try and find another way to send the bass, but after modifying the one I have and it's working, I told him since I'm keeping the bass, to refund half the price I paid, in the amount of $240. Waiting to hear back.