Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a fretless for the first time today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And if my new bass is going to turn out good, then my Corvette will be loosing it's frets by the end of summer! :hyper: :cool:

Yeah, I like fretless. I had that feeling deep inside for a long time, now I also know.

So after I finished my exam today, and since I don't have exams till mid-next week, I took some time and went to a shop, and to my luck they had a fretless this time!

It was just a low-end bass, no idea what it was, lacking in setup, sounded bad, too (with those flats, the low end was so dead, it was like reggae even without muting :eyebrow: ), and it was awkward playing a righty unlined, with the guiding dots now facing the ground :p
    However, even though it was my first meet with an unlined, and, this way undotted fretless, finding the right pitch was not that hard. I was quite surprised by that. Muscle memory and ears help a lot, and that you can just slide up or down that little bit of difference is good, too :smug:

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I played my first fretless just the other week. A Warwick Corvette at GC, it was set up decently and sounded really good through a Fender 100 watt. I know lots of bass players who had said that they never got the hang of not having frets and never knowing where they were on the neck but I didn't have the problem. A fretless Warwick is definetly on my G.A.S list now.

3. I played my first yesterday... it was an Ibanez Garry Willis 5 string. I think I liked it, but I will have to play around with it some more before I ever ecide to buy one.

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    First bass I ever played was a lined fretless.

5. Scary... My first fretless was a Passive Corvette at Guitar Center on Monday, lol.

Absolutley loved it! Not sure if I'll get a fretless 'Vette just yet, but a 'Vette IS in my future, that'sfor sure!

What-a-co-inky-dink,
    ~Ryan

6. hmm, i also really really want a fretless corvette, ha.

7. my fretless 'vette should be arriving today or tomorrow...
    can't wait :)

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Mwhahaha :D

7 posts, 5 about Corvettes :smug:

:cool:

I'm only thinking whether I should only have the frets removed and the fb epoxied (and the neck reshaped), or should I go for an unlined ebony board... decisions, decisions...

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I always recommend against defret jobs. Particularly if your fingerboard has markers on the front. It will look awful. Buy an inexpensive fretless from Dean or Fender or Rondo or someone else.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Unless Warwick sells a replacement neck with this fretboard I'd say don't bother, getting a luthier to make and mount a new fretboard could cost more than buying a new bass would...I've looked into it for my old Warwick.

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, getting a lefty 6 fretless around here would be anything but inexpensive :p

The Corvette was the cheapest 6-string bass I could get in lefty...
    No, i'm not joking.

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, as it is, W doesn't sell replacement necks because the serial #s are on the necks.

Having a luthier change the fretboard is not as expensive here.
    Maybe I'll just have the frets removed and maple lines inserted, then finished with epoxy. Should also work :)

13. Yes, Frank, once you try a fretless it's hard not to want to own one.

Mike ;)

14. I remember the first day I tried a real fretless. A Carvin 6er. Didnt have the money for it, so I ordered a cheaper carvin the next day (Ended up buying that 6er later)

The point of this story is, that yes, I have played fretless basses, I guess...

Anyway

When I first got my own fretless, I would pick it up here and there, toy around with it, but always ended up putting it down and picking up my fretted. But it seemed, more and more, I'd play it for longer periods of time before picking up the fretted. After a while, I stopped playing my fretted at all, and I'm a full blown fretless player. It just feels more natural, to me anyway. I've had my eyes on a fretless Warwick for a while. If you end up defretting yours, you're going to have a fantastic bass (not thatcha dont already. You know). Good luck

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Actually I wanted to own one before I even tried one.
    I knew I'd like fretless, I was just not sure if I could handle not having frets for intonation, nor lines or dots.
    Well, lines can be helpful when you have to play a note up the neck out of a sudden, in perfect intonation. but side dots would do it, to, as I see now.

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think I'll still need my fretted as I usually do a lot of slap and chordal, and for those it's nicer to have frets (especially chords! :eek: )

But to me, too, I like that I can just slide to a pitch from another one, adding a whole new dimension of expressiveness. This is something I really miss in fretted - sometimes I even do insane bends on fretted for that effect! :oops: :cool: