Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a great gig last night.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by vegaas, Jul 9, 2004.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I played one of my best gigs ever last night. It was the first gig for my metal band aShadebelow. We played at the Rave bar before the Kittie show.
    The bar was packed, the sound was fantastic, and we kicked ass.
    My neck is very stiff right now, I cannot turn my head, but man was it worth it. When we were playing, I was so into it. I dont think I have ever expended that much energy on stage before.
    I have 2 memories that will last from this show.

1) During the middle of our set I stopped headbanging for a moment and walked up to the front of the stage. I rested my foot on the monitor and looked out into the crowd. The place was packed from the very front of the stage, all the way to the back wall. I am just looking out at all these people, they are all banging their heads and pumping their fists. Best feeling I have ever had on stage.
    2) We get to our last song, I am completely spent. I am drenced in sweat. The song starts out fast, but has a very cool slow kind of eerie part in the middle of it. By the time we get to that part I am so tired I just drop down to my knees. Then I started really grooving to the part. I have never played that part before with such emotion. I basically put everything I had left into that part, and it rocked.

The only downside is it was a stupid pay to play thing. We sold all of our tickets, but I still hate the whole idea. My band really wanted to do it, so I agreed.

Just had to share my best gig experience I have had.

BTW, I did make a few mistakes, but everyone was so into it that it didnt matter.

P.S. I dont know if this shoud go under bass humor and gig stories, or Band Managment and Performance. I just guessed and put it here, and as usual, I am probably wrong. So mods, if you have to, do your thing.

P.P.S. Mods, now that I have thought about it, I think this actually does belong in Band Management and Performance.

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Good job man. If you rocked that hard you got your money's worth. I'm playing a gig tonight that after paying for sound and lights we won't make much at all but I'm still going to rock so hard I will need a neck brace and an hour in the hot tub. Your post has inspired me.
    I have 4 gigs this weekend so I better pace myself. :p

3. F*** the mistakes - as the great Dizzy Gillespie once said "Don't let a few bum notes get in the way of a great solo" - same rule applies to a great gig - if you rocked, the band/music felt great and most importantly - the crowd loved it, who cares if you played C# a couple of times when it should have been D!? Music is about having fun and living it for real - like life - and that means losing it sometimes when you're having fun.

Good luck and keep it rocking

M

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Great stuff! Imagine how a band like Iron Maiden must feel, getting that rush every other night for 20 years!!! Lucky bastards.

5. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Yeah, I dont sweat the small mistakes much on stage. It happens, and if you act like there was no mistake, most people wont know that there was.

As for imaging what it is like for Iron Maiden. I cant imagine what that is like. All I know is that if all our shows went like this, I would be one of the happiest bassists on earth.

6. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Good luck man! Rock it hard!
    I live to be onstage.

7. That's way cool. Only drawback is the pay to play. That can be a very fun room to play!

Got anything going this weekend?

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Stories like that make me want to play in a metal band. I mean, how many people get to do that at a jazz gig? I love the music (jazz, I mean) and some of the most emotive players I've ever seen are jazzers, but that kind of performance energy, that kind of "getting into the performance" where it takes everything out of you and asks for more is just so enticing. Where the music just physically pulls at you...damn, man. I envy you.

9. congrats on the great gig. I really love playing on stage, unfortunately, we don't get to play that much (but we're getting a new singer and drummer, that will get us to a higher level, so we can play more gigs :D )

anyway, I love players like you, who are very energetic on stage, I try too, but I have to make sure I don't lose my glasses :(

10. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I know what you mean. I also play in a pop/rock cover band. It is alot of fun, but it just isnt the same. With metal, you just get to cut loose and expend everything you have. I dont think I could ever stop playing metal, just for that reason.

Goldenboy, nothing going on until Aug. 10th. We are back at The Rave for the Fear Factory show. As for Albatross, we have a new singer and drummer now, so gigs should be forth coming soon.