Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a Lakland Joe Osborn Skyline 5 today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Dec 20, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A friend of mine received his JO Skyline 5 today, and I had the opportunity to play it for a few minutes. The bass sounded, played, and felt great. The workmanship and finish appeared to be par for the overseas Laklands, like the Skyline 55-01s and 55-02s. If you've tried these basses, you know that the workmanship and finish is very good for their price; I would venture to say superior to many other basses in the same price range.

The neck seemed to be slightly less chunky than the Skyline 55-XX series. However, it has enough width to satisfy most players IMHO; it's not too narrow at all. This neck is very easy to play through the entire scale. As you would expect, it truly has a Fender Jazz Bass vibe.

I have on one order with a J-Retro, and it should get here this weekend. I should be able to provide a more detailed review soon.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have a 5er with a J Retro coming too. It should be here on Monday.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have one that should arrive on monday as well, but mine is passive... looks like a few people will be enjoying JO5s for christmas!
    ;)

P@

4. Keef Green

Keef Green Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Spovegas Washington
    IT director for a music retailer/dealer: Warwick, Yamaha, Ampeg, Gretch, Kala, Marshall, Orange etc..
    I as well...