Played a left hand bass right handed...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Last night I went with my brother to a music store (he's wanting to buy a Geddy Lee Fender, price of $700, made in Japan), and while he was playing it, I saw a left handed Jazz bass and decided I would play it right handed, like I've seen done before, such as the bass player for The Yellowjackets, and the bass player for (I forget the artist) an asian female piano player. I just wanted to see how hard it would be and found out that, with practice, it could be done fairly easy. I can see how they got so good with the limits of their early playing (that being they {a left handed person} probably didn't have access to a left handed bass, so turned a right handed bass around and learned to play it that way).

Anyway it was an interesting learning experience. :)
  2. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, it's not that hard to learn, but those knobs dent the hell out of one's forearm. :p Anyway, I started out on a righty strung lefty, and many of the basses I've owned bore the telltale signs of a lefty played righty, and sometimes aven strung righty, so I guess it happens a lot.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    May I digress:

I am left handed, but I have always played guitar/bass and now db right handed. I never really saw the advantage of dealing with finding a lefty bass.

But anyway, when I see a leftie bass, I have to pick it up because I can slap the bewhoopity out of a bass with my left hand. I have enough coordination in my right hand to finger a couple of simple riffs. People that realize what I am doing think I am an ambidextrous bass Goliath. I have freaked out folks at the GC more than once.

What they don't know, is that I can't slap right handed worth crap. I suck at it.
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I bought one of those ash-bodied MIM jazz basses not too long ago for a very reasonable price. The catch: it's left-handed and I am right-handed. Being the goofball I naturally am, I restrung it right-handed and now have an upside-down bass. It was perfect for Halloween. I can't get up past the 10th fret because of the lower horn, but it's a real hoot. Oh, by the way, MIM jazz nuts are NOT interchangeable with the American standards. It took forever to find one that worked.
  5. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    As a lefty who plays strung righty(E on bottom)I can assure you that it's a VERY easy procedure to pop the nut out of a MIM Jazz and flip it, no need for a new one.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I started out playing a right handed bass, left handed.
    I'am a natural lefty.
    When I went to take my first music lesson, my teacher said,
    turn that bass around or get out.
    Sure glad he did.
  7. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Yikes, I'm glad I never took bass lessons.
  8. Bassmonk3y

Sep 19, 2005
    Tacoma, Wa
    I've been playing a right-handed bass left-handed(no restringing) for about 4 years now, and so far I havent come across a single thing that I cannot do.. The lower horn does cut off some of my fret access, but I'm thinking of getting my bass modified slightly, and putting another strap button somewhere in the center of my bass's back.
    Sure there are some techniques that are still somewhat out of my league (which Dream Theater continues to remind me about every day! grrr..:p),but speedy, complicated slapping and tapping have all come naturally,and i have confidence that in a few years I'll have a lot of the john myung ultra-speed-riff stuff down too! :hyper:
    (Don't get me wrong, I love a solid basic groove, but pushing the limits of technical speed and virtuosity expands my mind and makes the easy stuff so much easier!)

Mojo man, I'd like to meet that bass teacher of yours, and prove to him that sometimes going your own way about things can lead to faster progress than going along the beaten path that everyone else has already taken. If you're happy with your playing though, then more power to you bro! :)
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Why would he say that? It's just as easy for me to look at "right handed" fretboard diagrams and positions on a righty fretboard as anything else, and I play lefty-lefty.