Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a lot of basses today, surprised by favorite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, May 15, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I went to Manny's NYC today and played every bass in all the stores, there and all the Sam Ash's. Out of everything including a $1400 Peavey Cirrus, Ibanez Garry Willis Fretless, Jaco Sig Fretless and a Custom Shop P-bass, a couple of Laklands, and surprisingly a $4500 Fodera but my favorite was surprisingly the Ibanez SR506 on the wall. I've been itching to really sit down and try out a five string and this one sounded divine with the Barts, felt good with a slender neck and small body. I think I'm in love with a semi-cheap bass. :)

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I fell in love with an Ibanez SRX705 at the store a couple years ago. Took the plunge, bought it, hated it a month later and sold it :(.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey man, whatever works. I'm a fan of the utility of cheaper basses. Personal opinion, but I don't think a $5000 bass plays $4500 better than say, a used Spector Repop or NS2000/5.

Better? Yeah. $4500 better? Not in my book, or by my wallet.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Theres something to be said for those less expensive basses, alot of them are in the same league as the big boys.

5. man, i've played that too...i must say, it's one of the nicest basses i've tried.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, it was surprising. I found that it allowed me to express myself a bit more with the high C and the low B as well.

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    ...and if it (gasp) gets lifted, you're not out your life's savings...

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, it wouldn't be bought for the sake of having a cheaper bass in the stable. I'd have the vintage passive Precision, the smooth passive Yamaha fretless, and the active modern six string Ibanez. That way I could prove to people I actually need three basses. LOL

9. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Proving 3 is simple... its the double digits that get tricky to justify.:)

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LOL, can always take the female approach: this one's pretty, this one's sparkly, this one doesn't go with sandals so I need this one too. This is my PMS bass when I just want to kill people (think of the machine gun bass on eBay) and so on...

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I just worked that drill.

Longtime girlfriend of 3 years just decided to walk away...

...so I decided I needed a major league distraction to keep my mind offa it...

So I just bought a Dingwall Afterburner I five string.

All in all, it's been wonderful...I've been distracted by the haggling and buying, and now the wait for it to show up. Then will be the 3 months to figure out how to play it.

She used to complain that there's no way I needed 4 basses. Now she's not around (but inadvertantly caused it) for the 5th.

Now I can justify all of them. :)

I have a P, a J, an active 4, a fretless J, and soon a 5.

12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

That Dingwall will never complain if you have more than one girl friend. Good deal.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, material things won't make me any happier, but it sure has been a wonderful distraction.

Since she put the brakes on a few months ago, I've been practicing and playing lots more (2-3 hours a day) and have discovered I'm a pretty darned good player.

Do you think I should thank her? :(

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Haha, the worst thing for a bassist is a girlfriend. Mine went to Manny's with me and suggested that they have a nap room for the girlfriends.

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

If they were smart, a movie room with those sappy love story type movies. Or better yet, let them watch Brad Pitt, Leo Decaprio, or what ever the eye candy of the day is.

Then they'll be all juiced up for later. :D If that isn't a win-win situation, I don't know what is.

16. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    At least you still have something in a g string to play with.

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Nor will it follow you around after you've finished using it.

:bag:

18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I remember doing the same thing, with that same bass, about 7 or 8 years ago ... picked it up just to dork around on a 6 and "hey man, this thing is pretty decent!"

19. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    LOL!!!

I read somewhere that: basses too, will improve visually when they age... (unlike the wife...) ;)

20. HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    women have so many pairs of SHOES, that you can always point that out to them if they complain...