Played a Marcus Miller today at GC...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, May 29, 2005.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Went to GC today and played a few basses, and a couple guitars, vintage and new, kinda liked the Pedulla Pentabuzz, really know I like coated fingerboards and whatnot, but I played a Marcus Miller that absolutely made me melt. I'm not a huge jazz guy, but this one was just calling me. It played superbly, the neck wasn't thin like most jazzes I've played, and was pretty hefty, made me really feel at home on it. I almost walked out of there with it, even with it being Guitar Center and all.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Cool story.

I had a similar experience with a Geddy at my local GC. Loved the feel, setup, and look, but I was playing out of an SWR and couldn't get a feel for it's sound.

I'm an Ampeg Mudman, pristine sound isn't a description I enjoy. :D
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah it's a great sounding bass, I did consider getting it, the tones were great. I'd certainly recommend it.
    I played it through an Ampeg set-up they had.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Lucky for me I was playing through a GK head and Eden cab. I play GK/GK so the tone was quite similar to what I'm used to. Was a great tone, the feel was great, and I was dumbfounded because it was Guitar Center.

At least I talked my keyboard stand down to $60 from $100. The manager first told me $70 was the best he could do, so I went to play some basses, came back and talked to someone else, mentioned the manager said he could do $70, but didn't mention they were open box, and offered $60 so they bit. Better stand than my last broken one.
  5. I kinda have the same problem :meh: Ilooked at the Marcus Millers, before I bought my Geddy Lee. I decided I liked the GL better :smug: A few days ago one of the local shops had a new MM, and I goofed around with it for a while :)

Now I have more GAS than OPEC :rolleyes:

6. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    tru dat! that MM's a hott bass! i played one at GC this past friday
  7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Funny coincidence, because I had a similar experience at a Sam Ash this afternoon while "shopping for clothes for Rachel." Played a Marcus Miller, and it was just fantastic. I didn't plug in, but really didn't need to because it was so resonant and felt so great -- maybe even better than my 2003 MIA Jazz which is my number one. Rachel (age 2) started kicking up a fuss, so we had to leave before I got myself in trouble. ;)
  8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    niceeee i want my own test too soon,maybe i buy this Marcus Sig bass :bassist:
  9. I had a similar experience at my local GC recently. There was a killer MM, just out of the shipping box. It had a nice setup with low action. I love that neck, and although the preamp gets some flack, it sounded good with the treble rolled off and the bass boosted a bit. The U.S. market Japanese Fenders generally seem to be solid instruments, and they are quite reasonably priced.
  10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm a huge MM Jazz fan. I was just in my local GC this weekend, and the two basses I played were the Marcus and a used Pentabuzz (LOVE this bass). I couldn't talk them down on the Pedulla enough to make it worth my while... it was well used with some pretty noticable scarring, and they didn't seem to want to come down far off of the list. Oh well... one day, she will be mine!