Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a Mesa M-Pulse 600 at GC today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davo737, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    After waiting about 20 minutes for the two other people in the bass room who felt the need to plug into two separate stacks, turn the volume to 11, and make every attempt to slap faster than no man has slapped before to stop, I grabbed a J-bass off the wall and plugged in to the M-pulse. Wow. That about sums it up. Round, punchy, thick, punchy, and did I mention punchy? Heaven for this rocksteady/reggae bassist. And, I didn't even have to turn on the parametric eq section to get my ideal sound. For those of you familiar with this amp, bass at 2:00, mid at 1:30, treble at 11:00. If God plays bass, and I like to think he does, I feel like this would be his choice in amplification. It's not uncolored, not hi-fi, just fat and bubbly. The only thing I've played that has made me consider unloading my Eden.

(Please note this 'review' is not intended to be anything but my emotional thoughts about this amp. It is not meant to be objective, in-depth, or legitimately helpful in any way. Obviously :D )

2. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    My exact thoughts when I first plugged into the Mesa Walkabout. I went back and bought and I still love it. Jammed on it about three hours last night and when I shut it down I said to my wife "I love this amp!" :D

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Bahaha. Nothing wins a woman's heart like telling her how much you love your amp :p

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    You know what I had that feeling........17 hours later I had a lack of $1352 in my pocket. It's odd how things happen like that!

5. I hate to rain on the parade but I had a miserable experience with a Mesa Walkabout last year. I too was wowed and wooed by the sound but it started giving me trouble about a month after I took it home, it would cut out and fart. I took it back to the store where I bought it and they replaced the speaker output jacks and said it was good to go; the next rehearsal the thing popped and blew its lid - smoked out and died.

A few weeks ago my guitarist brought in a Mesa tube combo (brand new) to try out a more portable rig, halfway through the practice the amp lost volume and, eerily reminiscent of my Boogie, smoked the room up.

I'm not going to make any sweeping statements about Boogie but for the money I've not been impressed with their quality. My advice? Two words: buy ampeg.

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Funny thing, though off topic. I've found that Mesa's tend to be picky about power. We had an old practice space that had shotty grounding and occasional brown outs. That place killed 2 dual rectifiers in a month.

Could be a similar thing in your situation.

On the other hand, I've had three, count em, THREE, Ampeg SVT-3 Pros fail on me within 10 days of being brand new out of the box. The first one had fan issues which led to overheating. The second one came with busted caps (granted, I bought this one at GC and I KNEW they took it off the floor and taped it back up in the box). The third one apparently came with bad tubes. After that little experience I switched to Mesa and haven't had a problem since.

Just goes to show that many problems like this are freak and can leave a bad taste in your mouth that is unwarranted. A short while later I got an SVP-Pro for my dad's setup that he's been using with a Stewart World 1.2 flawlessly (and I must say it sounds excellent).

The walkabout is an excellent amp and it's definately on my list of things to buy :p

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    First scenario: was the store an authorized Mesa warranty station? Some of the very early Walkabouts had input jack problems, which were discovered after a few had mad it out of the factory. They were recalled and replaced for free. How long was it sitting there before you bought it? Could it have suffered some abuse beforehand?

Second scenario: sounds like a tube blew, which probably caused the fuse to blow, which caused the smoke. 90% of problems with tube amps are the tubes themselves. People blame it on the amps more often than they should.

Nobody has a perfect record of flawless amps. That's not reality. The reality is that companies have a certain percentage that they allow themselves for problem amps, and Boogie's is far lower than most. Ampeg makes great amps too, but shouldn't be chosen over any other just because it's thought that brand X doesn't make a reliable product based on a couple of isolated incidents. Case in point: I have 6 Mesa/Boogie amps, some of which are close to 20 years old. I have NEVER had a problem that wasn't a tube.

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love the tone of the mesa m-pulse series too. My ultimate beef was the lack of speakon connectors and the placement of the rack holes (it couldn't fit into a 2 space protec rackbag). Ultimately my gas made me trade it for what I have now...an Aguilar DB659 with a QSC1602 and an Alembic F1-X with another 1602s and IMO they all sound great, but are different than the M-Pulse600 that I owned. Ultimately, I wanted something a bit different, but ocassionally at my local store I plug into the m-pulse series (and the new rockblock750) them still and wonder why they don't just make pre-amps. I still want to get a walkabout as well for those small coffee house gigs. They sure do sound great with my aguilar gs112's

9. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    Define "punchy" please. I have my iedas, but I'm wondering what descriptives others use

10. if you guys are into the m-pulse 600,then you owe it to yourself to track down a big block 750..it's better than the 600...really,I'm not kiddin..when I tried one,I traded my 600 in the next day..it's basically the same amp stripped down..no compressor,no semi-parametric e.q...(only a semi-para mid control) and built in O.D..for some reason the 750 has a certain "breath" that the 600 does'nt have..don't get me wrong,the 600 is a really awsome amp.I thought it was the last amp I would ever buy, until the 750 appeared..the stripped down amp is right up my alley,I don't like bells and whistles and tweakin knobs for days...not that I did that with the 600,but I found that I don't use the para-metric e.q....the boost function,or the compressor,so the 750 was the logical choice..as far as quality issues go,I would say, that one paticular walkabout was a lemon..I've never had reliability issues with mesa products,not to mention they have the best service in the industry..but you all should go check out the 750..for me it is the new holy grail of bass amps

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    They both cost $1399 now? If they are the same price, you owe it to yourself to try it.

12. This is a good response and you are totally right, that's why I didn't want to say "mesa sux" because I know they don't but I did want to pass on my experiences. I have some issues with my Ampeg too and I know there are freak things, bad tubes etc. Still, at the time I was so angry that it occasionally bubbles up- bottom line it does suck to pay $900 for something that doesn't work perfectly. I guess it goes to show that research is really important in this mysterious process of getting the right tone.

13. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've owned an Eden WT-550 and an SWR550x. I now own an M-Pulse 600. I can get a killer tone within seconds of turning it on, with or without the EQ. I'm not slammin' the other guys products, the Mesa is just more user friendly IMHO.

Cheers.

:D

14. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Interesting post. I have used Ampeg for years and never had ANY problems ..period. This is my first Mesa and I LOVE the tone I get, much more from any of my ampegs. Again preference has a lot to do with this. The power comment has me thinking though. I played at church today and it was sounding great. Afterwards I stopped by the guitarists house and we were going to jam a little and cook some burgers. I set up and started warming up and I was getting a "crunchy" sound sporadically when I played, like a bad chord. I switched chords, still there, switched basses..still there. I then noticed that I was plugged into an orange extension chord running into another room. I plugged it into another outlet same thing. The guitarist said this is an old house maybe it's a wiring problem or you have a bad tube. I packed up my stuff at this point. When I got home I set up and jammed for about thirty minutes no problems at all. Same chords same bass and everything sounds peachy.
    Is this the power sensitivity? the guitarist was using a Road King head with no problems...Making me think about one of the Furman power conditioners.

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think that would happen with any amp, regardless of brand.

16. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I know bad power can affect amps. Maybe one of the technical giants that browse this forum can explain why or why not it happens.

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

So what if I said I know where you can get an M pulse 600 for well...$600??? BTW Brand spankin new!

18. Sorry, but this is absolutely false. I fix the things. Most times, if an amp has the proper type tubes and there's a problem, it is NOT the tubes. Mesa likes to blame a lot of their workmanship/transport damage problems on tubes, and while "their" tubes are usually substandard compared to most other dealers, they have far more problems with solder connections and overall QC than tubes. Their design philosophy and marketing of their "spec tested tubes" unfairly blame tubes for a lot of things that are not their fault. In my two years working at a Guitar Center, there was not a single Mesa amp that came in that worked 100% out of the box and only ONE of those was a tube problem!

...not in mine or that of any other techs' I know experience. Mesa is not really worse in terms of "bad" problems, but they do miss a lot of little things that can cause aggravating problems.

If your tech worked for Mesa, I'd take that diagnosis with a grain of salt.

It's simple. The amp runs off wall voltage. Since tube amps and guitar tube amps in particular tend to skimp on regulation (filter capacitors) in their power supplies, it makes any fluctuation in AC power more evident than it would in say a PA power amp. Especially with tube rectifiers, even "normal" AC voltage levels can cause distotion and noise if the power isn't a "clean" 120 volts 60Hz sine wave; anyone who's ever tried to get a clean tone with a tube rectifer equipped amp being fed generator power can attest to this.

19. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

We would say with our best German accents "We have vays of making you talk."

Thats an insane price. coincidentally, I tried the Mesa the at a GC not unlike other GCs on the same day. i found it to have a very meaty tone. i played a bleached blonde thumb through it and it was like heaven.

so many amps, so little money.

20. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    lol, straight off the back of the truck!