Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a MTD the other day....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyle, Dec 27, 2004.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    636 it was, beautifull bass. Ash bodied it looked like, with possible maple top and wenge board. I played it when I was in Calgary's L&M picking up my yorkville cab, and i gotta say it was a whicked instrument. It was used,and by used I mean holy crap it looks brand new, and the action was nice and low. Great tone and played effortlessly. Only complaint was the low B was a tad on the floppy side, could have also been the strings. How are the B's on other mtd 636's?In the distant future wouldn' mind a a fretless one.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    could haev been an old string. IME B's on the MTD series basses are anything but floppy. Any bass i've played that was actually made by mike tobias has been outstanding

3. 636? didnt know they came in 36' scale option.

maybe you meant 635? either way, i wouldnt mind getting my hands on one.

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    oops actually i dont know the scale but im pretty sure my buyers guide said theres a 636 :eyebrow:

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Ah thats a big 10-4 on MTD's having great B's. My 535 and Grendel both excel in that department. Floppy=old string, maybe WRONG string.

6. tell them to send it to edmonton! I want to try it! Did you notice the price tag on it?

7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I heard 4500 used. thats canadian also and it was in perfect condition basically. If he didnt tell me it was used I would have had no clue.

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'm pretty sure that the model is 635 :)

I used to think the B on my MTD was not very good. Sure, it wasn't wobbly, but it wasn't thunderous. I tinkered with my setup, switched amps, and what a difference. It isn't the best B string I have experienced, but it is great. Perhaps the 635 you tried was strung up with old strings. The MTD strings are really good.

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

Ditto that, and also there's no such thing as a 636. It's a 635... "6" string "35" inch scale.

I tried other strings on my 535, but believe it or not, the MTD 135x (taper core) strings which come stock on these work about as well as anything, and don't cost any more than a set of DR's (my other fave on mine). I'd say if you really like a "stiff" B, try nickels... you loose a bit of brightness with those, but the MTD's are so crisp you'll never know it.

Bottom line is, it pretty much doesn't get much better than MTD, so it definitely wasn't the bass.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    what Vics said - know what he's talking about, he does...
    why like Yoda do we speak?
    :D

11. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Vic, if I'm reading this right, are you saying the MTD strings are nickel? According to the packages on four sets of MTD strings that I have sitting here, they say stainless steel on them. I've always bought stainless steel strings so this made me do a double take

12. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id love to play one of them, sadly id have a lot of trouble finding one out here in australia.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    The 635 I played was one of the finest basses I'd ever had the opportunity to play. A very good low B, too. If I had the money, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I don't think that MTD makes nickel strings. I asked for them once and was told they aren't made. Bummer, would love to try some.

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, MTD's are steel as you say. I musta' missed a comma somewhere or something... :)

I was referring to the MTD preamp when I said "the MTD's are so crisp". Sorry, it's not real clear when the bass and the strings have the same name. :)

What I was saying is , if you try the MTD (steel) strings and you still want even a stiffer B, i've noticed that nickel strings tend to be a bit stiffer than steel ones, so that might be an ALTERNATIVE to the MTD strings (or DR's for that matter). Believe it or not, for nickels, the Peavey Cirrus strings are pretty darn nice, and fairly cheap too. Otherwise, DR makes great nickels, as well.

Hope this helps.