Played a Musicman Sabre today and..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Nov 6, 2002.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I loved it.. It was a 1988 Musicman Saber.. it had the 2MM pickups, 5 way switch selector, 3 band eq, and a very flat neck.. almost like a Sterling and a little bit of a smaller body compared to the Stingray. But I must say, I was blown away!

The switch let me choose many different sounds.

Im guessing that the left is for the neck pu, all the way to the right meant for bridge PU.. but I really liked it when I was at the 2nd and 4th position on the switch.. had a great MM growl with alot of punch! It was soo easy to play as well.. It was in EXCELLENT condition.. near mint.. $1000 is the price tag on it :( I think Sabers are pretty underrated for the EB line.. but I must say, I Liked the Saber the best after playing many Sterlings and Stingrays

[Edit]: Sorry... Sabre.. not Saber LOL

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    They fantastic basses aren't they. Never owned one but played a few and they are very cool.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My favorite four-string was my '89 EB Sabre.... had fantastic tone. I'd love to have a wide 5 with that tone (the SR5 doesn't quite have the tone and string spacing is too narrow for me).

My beloved Sabre "beatre bass"
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    wow.. thats one FINE bass you got there fuzz..

but yeah.. i LOVED the tone on that thing.. its has that Stingray tone but u can mess around with it!! it was soo sweet.. when I sell my Zon.. i might go for that bass

5. Fuzzbass

Thanks, DM. Mine's kind of ugly because I replaced the big chrome stock bridge with a black Ken Smith bridge (for the quick-release feature). I also removed the pickguard. But the figured maple neck looks sweet, and playability has always been a dream.

I totally agree about the tone. I sometimes used bridge pup only for the most Stingray-like tone, but typically used both pickups on full (position #2 of the 5-way toggle): that setting was huge, providing both depth and massive growl.

My Sabre is also very light... basswood? Or maybe balsa :D, considering how soft the wood is: you can see the grain on the back of the bass where the finish has been pushed in by my belt buckle (or jeans snap or whatever).
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    man i was thinkin either a darin huff or one of the new sabres if they ever come out with them. Has anyone heard anything about them?
  7. Fuzzbass

I haven't heard a word about EB putting the Sabre back into production... only a lot of wishful thinking. If EB put out a Sabre 5 with "wide" spacing, I'd buy it immediately (hell, I'd settle for a wide SR5).
  8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    About 15 years ago, I bought a natural finish Sabre at a pawn shop for $350. It sounded awesome and played great, but it had a maple fretboard and I was really into fretless at the time, so I stupidly sold it. If it had had a rosewood board that I could have de-fretted, I would probably still be playing it. I can't remember what I sold it for, but it was snapped up in two seconds. I can be such an idiot sometimes.....
  9. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    YES! U should've sold it to me dammit!!