1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

played a Musicman today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkyMark, Apr 16, 2006.

1. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    and I have to say, I am quite impressed. It was a 5 string and I don't use a floating thumb so I had a fun time reaching all the way across to the G-string :eyebrow:
    The action was much lower than my Fender and there was no fret buzzing. I have some NASTY buzzing because the neck is warped (twisted and bent :crying: ).

The guy who had it had also played on a Conklin in the past but he said that he hadn't played it enough to be able to compare it to his Musicman. He got the Musicman from a guy in Indy and he paid $875 for it. :eek: He knew someone who had a crapload of basses (I want to get a hold of this guy) who has a Conklin, GT-5 I think, and it is his favorite bass.

I'm going to try to get a hold of a Conklin so I can make an affirmation regarding my personal preference.

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I don't really know how to repond to this....ummm....

well I will say that Music Man is by far my favorite bas scompany. Their basses can get that round funky sound that I just can't seem to get with anything else.

3. yea really lol.
    i love musicman stingrays and the sound you can get out of them but this post was a um great review... or something.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    ...I had exactly the same experience as you did. . . OMG:eek:

But I also tested a Nortredarn Single Cut Exotic and it sound better that the musicman but a little bit better
    conklins are fun too but buzzing can be aproblem if it doenst buzz after the first fret. he bought for $600, which is cheaper, though.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I feel bad for your English teachers. ><

6. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    if you are talking to me, go read it again. My English is typically very good. My sister is about to graduate with a masters in linguistics and I live with her right now and my mom is an English teacher... I'm pretty sure I know English better than most people. If you weren't talking to me, I apologize.

I made the post because this is the first time I've played anything other than my nasty Fender. It was an exhilarating experience.
    Just skip the Conklin and try to get a Musicman or Stingray?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Your post was just all over the place. It wasnt your english grammar, it was your, composition.

Wasnt sure of the point of your post, as the other people pointed out before me as well.

I would definitely go for a musicman, whether it be a stingray, sterling, or bongo, its up to you.

8. I personally am a SR5 and Sterling man, I'm partial to Bongo's. I used to hate the looks, but they've grown on me. The sound is to kill for on the other hand...

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I didn't go to school, therefore, I didn't have an English teacher. I'm very accomplished in composition, however.

My point is: Conklins are not my favorite basses, although I did buy one for close to $600. StingRays? I like them better. . . hard to tell how much more. Sterlings have a thinner neck and smaller body; quite playable, if you ask me.

I would skip the Conklin and go straight to a Bongo. The looks, you might ask? It grows on you. . . perhaps. The look, that is. They sound humomgous, not like a nasty Fender. . . thank God.

Good luck with whatever you choose to be "the one."

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I've tried a few Bongos and haven't played one I liked yet. Maybe it was the setups or maybe it's just the feel. I prefer the StringRay5s.

What's the difference between an HH SR5 and the same pickup configuration Bongo? Other than aesthetics and shape, of course.

11. 4 Band EQ and a Blend knob on the bongo, whereas the SR5 has a 3 Band and a selector switch. Other than that, I think they're the same.

[EDIT]: and bridge pickup placement, the SR5 still has it in the 'Harmonic sweetspot'

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id say 'everything'

Different pickup material, different preamp, different pickup location.

The only thing thats really the same is the fact that there are 2 pups.

13. ...and everything that Figjam said :bag:

14. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    that sounds more like what I want; I'll look into those and see if that is feasible.

15. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    yes, the bongo pups are neos from memory.

bongos also have 24 fret necks.

bongos have a pup blending pot, the newer double pup rays have the coil switching switch.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IMO they did a wonderful job with designing the bongo. It is drastically different from stingrays/sterlings, yet still has that Musicman character, only in a different form.

17. Diddlysquat

Diddlysquat Guest

Feb 8, 2006
    I think the guy you're looking for is Todd4ta.