Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a new Dean Edge yesterday.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philbiker, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    And I didn't like it. :( It was a black fretless like mine. The new Dean Edge Korean models are similarly made compared to the original that I have (and that Bass Player absolutely raved about when they were introduced in 97? 98?). They have the same nice 5 piece maple/walnut laminate neck, unugly basswood body with colored transparrent finish, decent quality hardware. Nice touch - they've gone back to unlined for fretless.

However, where my bass has a pair of EMG-HZ humbuckers and passive Jazz Style VOL VOL TONE electronics, the new basses have pickups with only the "Dean" name on them and active EQ (VOL PAN BASS TREB). Much brighter more "hi-fi" (whatever that means) tone than my passive one, but not my cup of tea. I'd go so far as to call the tone "brittle". I think they may sell better like this (sound good for slapping and "music store chops") but I don't think they sound as good (when actually played in a music situation). My old one has a very dark midrangy growl that is very nice, with tons of Mwwaahhh. Though the bass plays and feels just like mine, that fat tone was nonexistant on this new one. I suppose that the "Dean" pickups are Cort/Mightymite pickups, and I'm sure that the "EMG-HZ" pickups are better (not that they are the greatest). The active EQ is "modern" but I don't like it.

2. I like the EMG HZ's pretty much on my Dean Edge Q6, did they switch pick ups on all the Edge series basses?

3. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not the real entry level $200 Edges (which never had EMG-HZ pickups in the first place). Just the "meat" of the Korean Edge line - the $600-700 list ones. They also had two old model Edge 6 basses there one with a really nice honeyburst transparrent finish which I tried. It played really nice but I am not a six string candidate. I was just playing it for fun. I don't know about the Czech Deans; I would suspect that they are still using EMGs as always.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I think they changed to the "Dean" pickups on the Edge series, but not the Q's. Not sure. I recently almost bought a used Edge 5 in about 98% condition for $299. They seem awfully good for the price, but I haven't tried the newer ones with the Dean pups.

5. I've been very pleased with my Edge 4 with the passive EMG-HZ pickups. IMO this new move may hurt them, I'm not to impressed with Dean 3D preamp they've been using. if that's what's in the new Edge models then I'm afraid they've taken a step backward.

I just turned in my Edge to the shop to have the frets removed. I hope when it's done it has tons a mwah like yours Philbiker. :)

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh, it will, especially on the bridge pickup. My Edge fretless sounds fantastic, and the low "B" string really sounds and feels solid.

The sound of my Edge Fretless isn't spectacular on its own, but in a music situation like church choir or in the little acoustic trio I'm in with my brother (Guitar/Drums/Bass) it really cuts through and blends at the same time beautifully. A real great bass.

And I like the ash bodies on the six string Edge basses better than the basswood on the fives and fours.

7. yeah, I got an Edge 4 with the basswood body. I didn't know that they put ash bodys on the Edge 6. I thought it was only for the Czech models.
    anyway, I thought it would be good for me to learn fretless on. I know that bass pretty well, and I figured "what the heck".