1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Played a new Engl ES9 & Now I understand

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Whit Townsend, Apr 18, 2006.

1. They really ain't what they used to be.
    I like thin necks, but this one was a toothpick.
    Felt like I could snap it into with one hand.
    Have they gotten smaller all over?
    Sure felt & sounded like it.
    And the finish, binding, etc. ain't near up to the Swingmasters of old.

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    For about the same money as a new ES9, say $1400, you can buy a laminated Strunal model 50/4 with ebony trim. Much better construction and nice meaty neck.

For a few hundred more, you can get an Upton laminated bass with ebony trim.

+1 on the Upton

3. When I started searching for a replacement for my old Kay, God Rest Her Soul, I made the statement that I'd prob. get an Eng, as at least I'd know what I'm getting. Probably 90% of the basses I've ever played were Engls.
    But this was the 1st new one I'd played in quite a while.
    Guess I didn't know after all. Glad I didn't order one sight unseen.

4. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    What happended to your old Kay?

Judging on today's demand for old Kay's, it's probable worth putting money into it to restore it or repair it.

5. Plys in top delaminating. Top has fell 1/2" or so, progressing rapidly. Bass bar still attached to plys underneath, but theres air between the top plys.
    If you know somebody willing to take off the top and reglue all the plys back together for say 1000 or less, let me know.
    I've had two very reliable luthiers just shudder to think about the undertaking at any price.

6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I had an ES9 and also wasn't quite digging the tiny neck. I just got a new Englehardt S1 and it had a much thicker neck. Don't know if this is the way they are going to start making the new ones or a mistake but it is much more comfy to play than my ES9 was.