1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played a nice Fodera today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I noticed Bass San Diego has a used Fodera in their shop right now, so I bopped on over to give it a try. George let me plug it in and futz around on it. It's flamed koa over mahogany, maple neck and birdseye maple fretboard. Not a mark on it. Just beautiful.

The tone is rich and full across the spectrum, which is like other Foderas I've played, but had a bit of an aggressive edge when the bridge pickup was favored. It reminded me a little of my koa/mahogany Sadowsky. I don't have a lot of GAS right now, but that bass could get me started.

Here's a pic or two:

356_USED_Fodera_Emperor_5_BN_Body.

281_USED_Fodera_Emperor_5_BN_Back_Body.

2. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I hate to ask but what was the going rate for the bass? I know its at least a pound of flesh, or several pounds.

az

3. braydensharrar

braydensharrar

Feb 21, 2009
    California
    You drove +/- 4 hours just to play around on that Fodera?
    If I were you, I would have left with it! :D

I am from SD and Bass SD opened up just after I moved to Boston to start at Berklee. There aren't any boutique bass stores here in MA. So I am looking forward to my trip home this summer so I can check the place out, though I doubt that beauty will still be there!

I was a frequent Bass Alone patron, but it was different when Val moved the operation into his place because the need to make an appointment and such.

Great looking bass!

~B

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Since it's on their site, I'll put it here. $7K against a new price of $8,500+.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I used to go to Bass Alone, even when John owned it. Val's website is apparently down, so I don't know if he's dealing any more.

Bass San Diego is something I'd been dreaming about for years. John had some very nice, but esoteric basses. Chris and George have Sadowsky Metros, Lakland Skylines, MTD (US and others), F Bass, Zon, Elrick ... you know, stuff you'd want. Cool shop.

Actually it's about 5 hours from Groom to San Diego, counting the Janet flight to Vegas. That's if I drive from Vegas to Dago. I can make it in about three hours if I fly from Vegas. I just happened to be in San Diego today.

6. That's a nice spec. Actually, of the many Fodera's I've played, the bolt on models with the Seymour single coils have sounded the best to me. Of course, that's because they sound a touch more like a J bass, which is my preference. But wow, the price for a relatively simple bolt on J Type bass is typical Fodera ridiculous, and there are IMO much better options out there if you are looking for a modern J Bass tone.

7. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    + 1000, there are extra cost for the butterfly logo...

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

Comparing to the Monarch, Emperor (Elite) and Imperial NTs, this bass should be much less than $7k IMO. The afforementioned are works of art and this is pretty plain jane for that kinda $$$.

Just IMO though.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Be careful with that argument my brother! The same could be applied some other well known and well respected boutiques!:bag:

I'm being the devil's advocate, but I know you get my point.:smug:

10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    That is my dream bass, simple but elegant. The Monarchs are hands down the finest basses I've laid my hands on.
    But I agree, $7K is silly expensive.

11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    That said...

It's still a far better value than many beat to hell ol' Fenders! :D

12. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    :rollno: Here we go again:rollno: Everytime the F word comes up in a thread.....

13. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    Amen to that, some builders charge too much, and deliver basses that shouldnt have even left the shop, yet continue to raise their prices.
    Bottom line is, if your name gets to a certain level and your demand goes up, so do your prices. If people stopped paying for the basses, prices would certainly drop.

14. lx_night

lx_night

Sep 3, 2008
    Oklahoma city
    Sure they beat fenders even the custom shop fenders but i dont think they beat a sadowsky or Alleva IMO.

15. lx_night

lx_night

Sep 3, 2008
    Oklahoma city
    That true however you are limiting yourself to a very small market. How many people do you think are scared away by the 10k price tag!
    I think Fodera's are great instruments imagine how many more people would own a Fodera if the prices were more reasonable?

The only reason i own a sadowsky is because it is a quality made instrument at a extremly reasonable price!

Just my two cents.

16. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    Years ago, I actually had a choice between a Sadowsky and a Fodera (before Foderas prices went out of reach) and I went with Sadowsky first (simply because the Fodera was priced $700 more) but quickly returned it with a check for $700, and got the Fodera. The Fodera was definately superior to the Sadowsky in build quality, feel and playability (but thats just MY opinion). It felt handmade, where the Sadowsky felt like a great playing Fender.
    But that was back in the day when a used Fodera was only $700 more than a used Sadowsky.
    Y'know, I remember buying a used Fodera for $2500, that was back when I had to walk to school, uphill, both ways.......

17. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I really need to find my way to Bass San Diego.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The pictures don't do it justice. It's a beautiful bass. Also, how did you arrive at your assessment that the price should be less? Someone will pay that for it. Soon, I imagine.

19. You should just get a J bass. Those sit in the mix. Too bad it doesn't have a thicker neck so you can play in the pocket.

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I agree it is a great bass, but I would expect a different level of workmanship (see examples below) on a used $7000 bass that costs approx the same as 3 used NYC Sadowskys or AC's do.

It will sell, so to each their own!:)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651100&highlight=fodera
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646471&highlight=fodera