PLayed a PJB 2x5 Briefcase last night..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I subbed on a gig last night for my teacher, and used a PJB 2x5 Breifcase. I had used it in rehearsal once before for the same gig (the musical Working), as well.

This thing is very, very loud for it's size. I could keep up with a drummer, so long as he wasn't playing too hard. I had the volume around 3 o'clock the whole show, adjusting from my bass. It's really cool to see the speakers jump- and they really jump.

The sound was pretty good, some slight farting on the low B but what can you expect?

Overall, I really liked this thing. If they could be had for $300-$400, I'd take one (does anyone know how much they are?).
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The briefcase lists at $599 according to their site.
    Any more info about the sound?
    What music was it used for etc?
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It was kind of hard to tell, as I was in a band situation.

The style of music was everything from funk to a foxtrot jazz part to ballads to walking jazz. It was pretty versatile sounding- I didn't change the tone, but I didn't have to (I did change the tone with my bass, though)- the tone fit in with everything, pretty much.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wild! I'd love to try one...
  5. jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    that thing looks to be SO COOL! I have been thinking about learning a few Classical songs and a few solo jazz tunes and busking and that thing would be perfect! just gotta get a better fretless tho..
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I want one!!! Wonder what the street price will be?

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I've been curious about those too... I heard that they have a rechargable battery in them like a 'Taxi-amp' or 'mighty mouse' amp.... Is that true?
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Probably same as list...usually with small makers like that there isn't any room for heavy discounts. $599 is already cheaper than say a GK MB150 or an AI Contra.

Too bad large makers don't price like that, then we wouldn't have to waste so much time trying to find the absolute lowest price and grouse when we find out we coulda saved $5 :D
  9. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    i met phil and his sales rep on a street corner in the east village in manhattan sunday night. i brought my warwick stage 1 and plugged into a briefcase under battery power. got some curious looks from passers by on the street. bottom line is, i'm getting one!

the little beast is perfect for new york. those 5" drivers sound tight as all hell, and you could see them thump through the grill. the slap sound was unreal; i'd attribute that to the 5's. the smaller the speaker, the better the transient response, i imagine. the compressor and graphic eq are bonuses, but i couldn't really twiddle with them too much to my liking, the situation being where it was.

i think $600 is a bargain for what you get, considering that is

really clean preamp
    op compressor
    headphone jack
    rechargable battery
    practice amp/small stage amp

phil then dragged out his 9b (i think) cab, and powered that with the briefcase. i think i agree with him, that more smaller speakers are the answer. it's nice to hear what i'm playing for a change, since larger speakers usually throw beyond where i'm standing. in fact, i'd love to test using the briefcase as a stage monitor.
  10. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    What about external speaker connections? Does it have an ext speaker out or would it be able to even power one. I just think it would look cool to have that on top of a larger one of their cabs when needed.
  11. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    it's got an external speaker out. phil said the internal amp would go down to 2 ohms at 140 watts, though i don't know if i would risk that. the internal load is 4 ohms. i think sticking it on top of a single 8 ohm 8 or 10 inch cab would be interesting.