Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a Stingray and a Marcus Miller and bought...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jun 28, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, as a reward to myself for getting on the train and going to school when it was 10 below, I used the money that I scored at my college graduation party to buy...

A Marcus Miller jazz! I love this thing. When I went in and looked up at the wall, there was this bass and a 3-band Stingray that was marked way the hell down - something like $780. Figured with that kind of price, I might as well try it, right? I had gone in with the intention of picking up a jazz, but the other jazzes weren't looking too hot.

Didn't care for it. Neck was awful. Just... huge. The construction and sound seemed better on the Miller. So I bought that one.

Gotta change the strings, and I gotta get rid of that pickup cover.

Those reverse tuners are a trip...

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Thanks!

I've been done with school since January, but I just did my ceremony and got my diploma this month. I've been milking this graduation for six months. :D

3. Funny that, I wanna get a stingray because it has a larger neck, but I'm gonna be controverstial (sp?) and get one with a 2 band eq. I tried a 3 band, and it didn't have any growl. Strange that, but it had been in a store for a long time.

Congrats on the bass and school thing tho.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The tuners work the opposite way from the standard tuners. Turn them counterclockwise to raise the pitch, as opposed to clockwise to lower the pitch.

I have no idea why they are that way. It's "vintage".

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You got it backwards, Clockwise raises the pitch and counterclockwise detunes it :)

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Whatever it is, it's just ain't right. :D

7. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    Good choice, I would agree they are nice basses; I got the sunburst version and love it. It’s my main bass now stock. What color did you get? Plan on upgrading the preamp?

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Got the natural finish - as far as I know, the white and suburst don't exist. Even photos are rare. But that's okay, 'cause it's the natural that I wanted.

The preamp seems fine, though I plan on gigging with it for a while before I decide to modify things.

9. thewhitesheep

thewhitesheep

Dec 22, 2004
    Heh, the store i bought my olympic white one did not have it in natural, only in sunburst and white

10. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    all of the Marcus Miller Jazz basses are killer looking, I still have the stock pre-amp too, thinking of doing some customizing, but like yourself am still feeling it out. thats is weird they only offered the natural color. I want one in every color! *GAS* excuse me. :oops:

11. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    The stock preamp really is crap in the MM bass. too trebly/sizzly. I got sick of it and put an OBP-1 in mine. Sounds a LOT better.