1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Played a Streamer Stage 1 6 String Yesterday...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aj*, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    ...and it rocked! I always worried that my hands weren't big enough to wield a 6 stringer but I could reach every fret on every string and it was an absolute tone machine, tried it through a Warwick ProFet 5.1 plus matching 8x10 (only rig hooked up) and it was brilliant. The B string was pretty decent, not as good as a 35" B but very good for a 34" B. I'd already played the 4 string Streamer S1 but the 6er was similar, a large tonal variety from the two pickups using the blend knob. The neck feel was brilliant for a 6er, was a nice shape that fitted my hands perfectly, on the thinner side but that's how I like it. The spacing was ideal for slapping, I wasn't hitting the other strings at all.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that despite having the soapbars rather than the P/J of the 4 string I could still nail the Stuart Zender tone with a bit of tweaking. It has the growl, not the full on thumb growl but a nice rich growl. I know 6 string Warwicks are kinda rare, there was also a 'vette 6er and a thumb fretless 6er there. Didn't get much time with the 'vette but I prefered the Streamer, the 'vette has narrower spacing and the Streamer has a faster feel to it and a nicer tone. The thumb was unlined so I didn't humiliate myself trying to play it lol.

Anyway, hope this thread gives some of you something useful, go try a Streamer 6er if you're in the market, it's a very playable bass and if you like the Warwick tone, it has sackfulls of it and is very very playable for a 6er. Now I just need the money :D. I hope someday to A vs B the Streamer with a Cirrus and a TRB-6PII but it's been a long time since I played either of those so I won't try and compare them.

Oh btw, for those of you who live in the UK, go to Sound Control Manchester Salford, you will NOT be dissapointed, they have a massive warwick section. They have the Corvette HotRod LE and the Infinity LE amongst others as well as the Streamer CT, Stage 1, Stage 2, various thumbs, plenty of 'vettes, a large choice of FNA Jazzmans in both Streamer and 'vette forms. Also, they have a large Ampeg section with two SVT-2Pros, a large Ashdown section with ABM full stacks and an Orange 200 watt all valve half stack bass rig. Oh and they're gonna be stocking the new Trace Elliot. Oh goody :D.