Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played a Streamer Stage 1 6 String Yesterday...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aj*, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    ...and it rocked! I always worried that my hands weren't big enough to wield a 6 stringer but I could reach every fret on every string and it was an absolute tone machine, tried it through a Warwick ProFet 5.1 plus matching 8x10 (only rig hooked up) and it was brilliant. The B string was pretty decent, not as good as a 35" B but very good for a 34" B. I'd already played the 4 string Streamer S1 but the 6er was similar, a large tonal variety from the two pickups using the blend knob. The neck feel was brilliant for a 6er, was a nice shape that fitted my hands perfectly, on the thinner side but that's how I like it. The spacing was ideal for slapping, I wasn't hitting the other strings at all.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that despite having the soapbars rather than the P/J of the 4 string I could still nail the Stuart Zender tone with a bit of tweaking. It has the growl, not the full on thumb growl but a nice rich growl. I know 6 string Warwicks are kinda rare, there was also a 'vette 6er and a thumb fretless 6er there. Didn't get much time with the 'vette but I prefered the Streamer, the 'vette has narrower spacing and the Streamer has a faster feel to it and a nicer tone. The thumb was unlined so I didn't humiliate myself trying to play it lol.

Anyway, hope this thread gives some of you something useful, go try a Streamer 6er if you're in the market, it's a very playable bass and if you like the Warwick tone, it has sackfulls of it and is very very playable for a 6er. Now I just need the money :D. I hope someday to A vs B the Streamer with a Cirrus and a TRB-6PII but it's been a long time since I played either of those so I won't try and compare them.

Oh btw, for those of you who live in the UK, go to Sound Control Manchester Salford, you will NOT be dissapointed, they have a massive warwick section. They have the Corvette HotRod LE and the Infinity LE amongst others as well as the Streamer CT, Stage 1, Stage 2, various thumbs, plenty of 'vettes, a large choice of FNA Jazzmans in both Streamer and 'vette forms. Also, they have a large Ampeg section with two SVT-2Pros, a large Ashdown section with ABM full stacks and an Orange 200 watt all valve half stack bass rig. Oh and they're gonna be stocking the new Trace Elliot. Oh goody :D.