Played a Tune

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Tune Bass Maniac Zi-7 four string, that is. I was near Bass Alone here in San Diego, so I thought I might as well stop in, right? I didn't play the really high-end stuff he has in there, because I already know it's good, and I can't afford it anyway. The Tune was fabulous. I played a number of basses, including a Salas, MM5, Toby 5, and a Bogert. The Tune stood up very well against all of them, including the Salas (horrors!). It was, of course, very J-like, with maybe even a skinnier neck than a J, small, light body, and very clean sound. 'Course, playing it through a Glockenlang head into an Epifani cabinet probably didn't hurt. The Salas is handmade and beautiful, so it's probably a better deal for only a hundred bucks more than the Tune. Still, I was very impressed with the Tune. I wish it wasn't purple.

The Toby he has is a MusicYo bass - the first one I've seen. Nice sound, fat neck, in case you wondered.
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Tunes are great basses. I've now played three of them, including my own, and they all sounded fabulous. Each one has that distinct, very clear ringing tone to it. I love them.