Played a Variaxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrackBass, Mar 20, 2005.

1. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    i stopped in to see a buddy of mine at local store, and i noticed that they had a variaxe hanging on the wall. i finally had to play it, and suprise, suprise, it played really great. i was really shocked by the playabillity of that bass. it just felt solid. the action was awesome. now i've never played any super high end botique basses but i will say that it played better than any american fender, musicman, cirrus, or spector i've ever held in my hands. i never thought that i would be too crazy about the line 6 bass. i thought it would be a cheap bass with advanced electronics. definately not so. i was so impressed at that point i had to put the bass down lest i spend my bill money and really get in hot water with the old lady.

bottom line, even if it only had 1 great sound it's still a hell of a bass.
  2. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    Those things scare me.
  3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The Synsonic of the bass world.
  4. Nice to hear something from the other side. Benjamin Strange played one and definitely wasn't impressed. I think it's a good idea, and although I haven't played one, I'm willing to bet that it's not as perfect as it claims to be. However, I'm interested in seeing if Line 6 can perfect the idea.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The one that I played didn't convince me with the way it emulated other bass tones, but what it did do was produce a ton of very useable tones. I wouldn't say that it can reproduce any other bass with any marketable accuracy, but it can produce a lot of cool tones, IMO.
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    That's exactly how I felt (though the amp I tried it through didn't have much treble for some reason [Ampeg SVT Classic through an Ampeg 8*8 I think]). It was pretty cool really, playing the Moog bit from Tom Sawyer with the synth stuff was fun :D
  7. thats what I think aswell. tried one, and its a cool little toy, but doesnt really go beyond that IMO...
    I wouldnt use it, I tend to be picky aout sound quality and the simulations it tries to do sound great if you DONT own the bass thats being simulated. if you do, it sounds wrong. and sure as hell doesnt feel that great, to me anyway...
  8. Obviously you've never played MY SR5 because there's no way some electronic frankenstein is gonna touch that........ :eyebrow: