Played a Warwick Rockbass Corvette SE 4 string today....WOW!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Aug 7, 2002.

1. I was REALLY impressed...
    I played it for maybe an hour today...and I thought the thing sounded fantastic. Granted, I have never played a real warwick, so I can't compare, I really love this bass. Nice small/slim body (fits us little white guys very well), great punchy, clean, fat tone....I loved the slap feal, the bridge seemed pretty damn solid, everythign was real tight, it balanced well for me, it played really well, and it looks fantastic. I wish I could give a more indepth report, but thats all I can say about it right now...The only other thing I have to say, is for anyone on a $700 budget, check it out...I think I just foundmy next bass. Goodbye MIM active jazz, hello rockbass!

Comment, questions, onl;y question, is...does anyone have experience with the neck? Are they made real solid? I haveta ask because after I bought the ibanez and returned it for it's floppy ass neck, I have to be real careful...

2. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Not to dampen your enthusiasm,but I'd recommend you spend some time seeking out and playing some of the German built Warwicks with the brass frets and 2 piece bridge.If you then find them to be even better,you should be able to find one on the use dmarket at around the same price you are planning to pay for the Rock Bass.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    700's pretty high for a rock bass. that's used MIG - wenge neck bolt on territory.

but for...say...$500 (a good price for them), they're incredible bargains.
  4. It depends on the rockbass model doesn't it...some of the rockbasses list a few hundred or so lower than the one I'm looking at which is the corvette SE...just wondering.

Also, where and what should I look for in the 700-800 price range as far as warwicks go??

5. MIG Warwick::Rockbass version
    MIA Deluxe Fender::Squier affinity series (MII-that's Indonesia, home of some nasty extremists of you-know-what persuasion, FYI)

Pardon the mathematical expression, but the aliteration applies. Play a MIG Warwick and feel the difference that a 10" steel bar in the neck makes. Also, if you are looknig to get a bargain basement MIG Warwick, search the 'net for the MIG Streamer Standard. I took a single-pickup model (comes passive, but with the traditional huge electronics cavity) and put in an EMG BTC stacked-knob 2-way active EQ. It weighed under 7lbs even after modification and played fantastically, like a Warwick should. Sound-wise, I was in early StingRay/hot-rodded P-bass/both pickups full-J territory, although I did leave the volume knob's pull-slap feature alone. Since the pull switch merely engaged a capacitor, it isn't like a true pull-slap, but did give a different variation on the sound. Total investment about $800 including Hipshot Bass Xtender key for the drop-D. Sold it for $1k after 2 years of being my main bass. You do the math.

Edit: purchased bass itself $550 sans case, BTC control $75, Hipshot $85. I quote $800 to allow for labor, which I did myself, but not everyone may have the tools/knowhow (this is not a slag, BTW).
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I also think that the Rockbasses are pretty great for the price.. Decent feel and sound IMO. I just wish it didn't say ROCKBASS on the headstock.. it just makes me feel less about the bass
  7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Often see used Warwick Corvetts and Fortress One's on ebay that could probably had in the 700 range. Better wood, better hardware, better neck. Just make sure that it is one with active electronics (not a passive Corvette Standard or a Fortress One R n B.)