Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played an Artcore AGB140 Hollowbody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Jan 6, 2006.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Went to GC and checked out both the Artcore ASB140 (Sunburst / Double Cutaway) and the AGB140 (Brown Tobacco Finish / Single Cutaway). $399.00

Loved both basses, but the AGB140 (Singlecut) had the looks and feel for me. Both basses were tonally the same. Both had a thick, almost Stingray type tone, which would make sense given the big humbucking pup. The bass just sang, and had an incredibly fast and accurate fretboard. Unfortunately, none of the tone knobs seem to make a difference. Warm and syrupy this bass is not. But the tone these basses have are killer. I suppose changing the tone pot would make a big difference in warming the bass up, even though I could definately live with it's current tone.

OK, that was all the positives.

The Negative

When strapped on, the bass hangs like ****. The twelth fret is about 4" to the left of my outside hip. I feel like I am playing a 37" scale bass. The 1st fret was a really long reach, and I have a long reach. I am 6'2".

You either have to play the bass ala Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones (early days), or have the bass hang by your knees.

If anyone has any ideas how to attach a bass extender to the straplock (located under the heel) to push the bass back into a more natural playing position, I am all ears. I don't know how you would be able to anchor the extender to a hollowbody.

I would buy this bass in a heartbeat if it didn't hang so terribly.

2. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    as mentioned earlier ..and i agree about it having a sort of quite good stingray type thing going on..but whats the point of all that semi acoustic styling when it really isnt one at all...the chambers may as well not be there.. chop em off and turn it into a steinberg..at least that would be honest. :meh:

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    True, but I'd be willing to experiment with the electronics a little bit on this bass to bring out a warmer tone, while trying to retain what it inherently has already. Besides, semi-hollow bass or not, I think it looks really cool, and would not have a problem showing up with this ax at any type of gig.

4. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    You could just install the forward strap button to the upper horn/bout to shift it to the right. That's a simple fix.

The construction of the Artcore instruments is very good but the wiring is what sucks on them. Plumb it with decent coax, jack and pots and the sound will be much better. However, my experience is with the Artcore gu*t*rs, not the basses.

/ 2 cents.

Gator

5. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That is a good idea, but the upper horn location is almost even with the existing strap lock. I don't think it would make a huge difference.