Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played an Ashdown ABM500 Evo II for the first time today....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Jan 21, 2005.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    holy crap. thats as close as i can come to describing it with text. unbelievable sound out of it. very powerful, but very defined at the same time. the tone was so punchy with a stingray. i think its exactly what i want. it's definitely looking like i'm gonna sell my 400+ in the next few months, and get this instead. it suits me much better than the 400+ ever did. thanks for the recommendations.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Another convert! Excellent! Welcome to the only tone you'll ever need.

3. Welcome to the Ashdown club, i too dropped my Ampeg SVTCL in favour for the ABM500 EVO 11 and still glad i did.

Ashdown are the way to go , now do i sell my ampeg cabs as well and go Ashdown ??

Ashdown gives great tone variation, warmth, vintage and new sounds, good price, good power and looks cool.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Good on you, soon we will rule the world my minions, erm wait yeah.

What cabs did you try it through?

bassampegman did you decide one what your going to feed your 500 into yet? Because you might want to wait and see what ashdown bring out for the labs with neo's

5. Well i am happy with my Ampegs, might be taking a look at these new british built "Loud " cabs, real low cost, but very unknown,

What new Ashdown cabs are these ??

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I played it through a Mesa 4X10, because I like 4X10s, and I was trying out a 400+ at the same time. They didn't have any ashdown 4X10s, otherwise I would have tried that. When I go back to try it again, i'm gonna try it through a Goliath III, since thats what I have. Any recommendations for other cabs that I should try it through? The place that has the amp has cabs from Mesa, Ampeg, Fender, Genz Benz, SWR, Ashdown, Traynor, and Kustom.

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    +1

8. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I have an ABM400 that I have had for several years now. I play it through a pair of Epifani 210s. Sounds great. Punchy with a nice combination of warmth and modern clarity. I love it.

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have been using an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO for a couple years now and the amp simply performs well on everything! Congrats. I think the Ashdown Amps are a magical combination of Old school Vintage vibes to Modern tones. Extremely versatile, punchy, fat, yet focused and very responsive.

I use mine with a Bergantino HT322 (1x12 and 2x10's/Horn) It's a 4 ohm cabinet so it gets the full 575W british watts. Totally Smokes. Every player I know who has heard or played through my rig loves it.

Gary

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i prefer ashdown amps and ashdown cabs to be honest. i just go the whole way. i personally think you get a better sound that way. anywa glad to see you like it. welcome aboard.

11. I've used an Ashdown ABM-400 regularly since late 1997 and it still impresses me today. I've got no desire to part with it anytime soon. It has been so reliable, not once have I had a problem with it. It just takes care of business, and I never worry about it failing on me.

Great clean, clear, tone, with a nice warm vibe. Sounds great post-eq DI'd through house PA too.

I run it through an SWR Goliath III which is one of the most transparent 410's I've come across. Together it all works for me.

Can't wait my my new Roscoe SKB-3006 to arrive and see how they all sound together!! :bassist: :hyper:

12. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    genz-benz cabs sound great with the amb 500. if you cant get a benz go with an amb cab.