Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played an F Bass for the first time this weekend

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Wow, i'm in Heaven. Of course, that's cause i have so much gas i'm like a rocket. This is was the first time i've ever played an F Bass and i was just blown away. I've never played such an incredible instrument. I've got to have one, now i just need to find a briefcase with millions in it.

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Not millions, maybe a couple of grand. I got mine for $2,000, used, but like new condition.

I agree, they sound great.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    One of the best out there!
    Fretted, fretless?
    I was hooked when I finally played one. They are wonderful. Really enjoying mine.
    They turn up here and there under $2k every now and then. Well worth it!

4. Well i said millions because there's a new amp rig i'd like to purchase as well.:)

5. I'm considering purchasing a used BN-5. What is so special about these basses?

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Well, in passive mode the tone is everything a Fender Jazz wants to be. The active mode yields a super-charged version of the same. Perfectly balanced across the tonal spectrum.
    Ergonomics-wise, it's one of the most comfortable designs out there. Hangs just right, and the neck profile is beautiful; fits like a glove.
    First-class construction, unbelievable tone! What more could you want?
    I love these things! Of course, leaving room for personal preference...you never know someone else is going to feel. Can you play it before you buy?

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I feel pretty lucky to live 15 minutes away from the Guitar Clinic, where the F-Basses are made! The guys there are really helpful and friendly. The F basses are amazing instruments, perfectly balanced physically and tonally. It is a remarkable experience to play on one. I'll be ordering one in the spring(Maybe even a GFC custom!).

8. I have a BN5 Studio that I bought for a lot less than $2000 (actually, just a little more than $1000), and was selling but I pulled the FS ads after the only interest in it seemed to be from people who wanted it for free! Anyway, like Mark/xush already mentioned, one of the coolest things about these basses is the preamp design, which is just brilliant. In passive mode, there is no learning curve for somebody who has been using a Jazz Bass, because it functions in exactly the same way. Simply engage the active circuit and you have 3 bands of EQ at your disposal. I still think the bass is a little funny-looking, but George Furlanetto really knows what he's doing.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn it! I wanna F bass! they look killer, and everybody says they rule all over the place. Seems like something worth investigating...

10. I'm due to receive my BN6 any day now and I can't wait. Sadly, my Cirrus six string will be sold to help pay for the F. I played one in LA when I was there for NAMM and had to get one. Now I just have to put away some $ for a Caron fretless 6 mmmmmmmm.

G

11. I'm savin for a Warrior

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yep, long upper horn = great balance.

Ya know, it's just as well I've never played an F-bass or a Warrior Studio. I've got enough GAS as it is.

[​IMG]

13. yeah one of my friends at church (plays professionally doinf session stuff in Nash.) has a Warrior.....heres the pic
    [​IMG]

and here is the one he is getting in the next 2 months
    [​IMG]

BTW he plays through a Mo Bass and Megagoliath

14. I pulled the triger and decided to buy the bass, in part because of all the raves posted here. I'm most impressed by the statements concerning the bass's balance. I can not stand a neck heavy bass and it appears the F-Bass does not suffer this problem. Plus, I love the bark of a Fender Jazz so this looks like a good fit for me.

15. I pulled the triger and decided to buy the bass, in part because of all the raves posted here. I'm most impressed by the statements concerning the bass's balance. I can not stand a neck heavy bass and it appears the F-Bass does not suffer this problem. Plus, I love the bark of a Fender Jazz so this looks like a good fit for me.

16. double post

double post

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    The bass so nice he posted twice!
    He's excited!
    Tell us about it... whatcha getting?

18. It's a sunburst BN5 with a maple board. I should have it in 10 days or so.

19. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Did you get this bass of of a guy in North Carolina? If so I know the bass very well. It's a great bass and is new as the seller has said. I know the guy and this is indeed the person you're getting it from, have no worries.

20. Peter,
    Yes, the guy is from NC. He and I e-mailed quite a bit and I feel he's a good guy. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the bass. I'm really looking forward to receiving it. By the way, how do you know the bass? This guy said he bought it new directly from George.