Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played an MTD 635 yesterday...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jun 13, 2004.

1. ...and holy-crap - that was one ****ing unbelievable bass! I haven't played a Tobias in a long time but this just blew me away - I was staring in wonder at various parts of the neck as I hit harmonics and upper-register chords, plus some low-end growly s*** - they all just shimmered like I don't know what. My only niggle was the string spacing as I'm used to 19" and this was a little narrower - but overall these are just beautiful looking, sounding and playing instruments - if anyone's got a spare 6 - let me know!

2. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Did you try it at the bass gallery in London?

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Shame theyre so expensive for us none american monkees. I would like to add one to my arsenal.

4. You're damn right there toasted! And yes it was in the Gallery in Camden - top bass shop that - I seriously think ALL the other bass shops in London have lost it - The Bass Centre is only really used by city boys who are on HUGE salaries and can finally afford to buy a £4000 Alembic - and what do they play on such baesses? 12 bar blues of course! Plus the Bass Cellar is run by one of the most miserble, cynical old guys who's lack of enthusiasm and general sneering at any other shop or bass maker, that he DOESN'T stock makes his shop all the more annoying - The Gallery Rocks not onlyt because the staff give a s*** but also because they have great stock , good prices (they always offer discount) and is probably the only place in the entire country where you'll find MTDs, Ritter's and of course Sei basses!

Lovely - all of the above is My Opinion so I take all responsibility for my comments!

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Was is the buckeye burl one?

http://www.thebassgallery.com/mtd635.html

Did you get to try the Ritter basses that they have in stock?

PS. What is the Bass Centre's stock like these days since their move? - I do wish they'd get a decent website sorted out.

6. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i do belive that was ari's bass. fyi

7. Yes - that's the bass - I'm afraid Ari, if you're reading this, I can't afford that bass right now! It's a monster but not exactly what I would pay 2K for - it is however an exceptional bass! I am very tempted to get a Sei 'Flamboyant' 6 string made for me in the not too distant future but for now my gorgeous Warwick 1991 Thumb and custom fretless 5 will have to do! I saw the Ritter's and they look lovely, esp the fretless 5 - but I didn't try them.

As for Bass Centre stock - it's OK they have a tonne of Laklands, a few nice looking Wal's, a couple of Ken Smiths second hand - that they want 2K a piece for - a bunch of OK Warwicks, some Alembics and a load of Sandberg's. Trouble is every time I try something there, it isn't set up in any way that I would call good, plus like I said earlier, a lot their stock is geared towards the fat-walleted city types who obviously work around Liverpool Street - I can't say there's a single bass in there that I would actually buy - and a lot of the 'soul' of the old shop just isn't there - I just buy my strings there cos I use Elites Players 30 - 90s!

8. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    It is indeed my bass and it is on consignement there. If the bass sells quickly enough I may put also my F Bass and my Sadowsky on consignment at the gallery.

Urb> do you have picks of your warwick thumb? I love early warwicks.