Played an OLP better than real Musicman.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Jul 13, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    This isn't a flame or a bash or anything. Just an observation.

I went to GC yesterday and tried out, among others, an OLP MM 5-String and a Musicman Stingray 5 (3-Band). Keeping in mind that at GC the strings could've been dead, the setup could've been off and other factors:

The OLP just played and sounded better. It had more high end twang and simply sounded more like a MM than the real thing did. Even with the Treble boosted all the way on the EBMM it sounded kinda dead. I assume it was the strings.

Doesn't change the fact that the OLP sounded incredible for the money. Even the Low B sounded damn good for a $250 bass. I've always thought that OLPs have a lot of potential but they just need a better preamp. The sound is there, but a good pre would bring everything up to the front and make it sound excellent. MM basses aren't versatile enough for me (1 Pickup), but it made me think twice at that price.

2. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Must have bad strings or week battery on the EBMM. OLP's are great for the price, but they are not as good as the real thing. My $0.02.
  3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I have them both - don't get me wrong the OLP rocks, but my Stingray 5 is the ultimate. The Stingray must have had ultra-dead strings and probably in dire need of a setup like you had mentioned. I highly recommend the OLP to anyone looking for a great instrument that cops that Stingray vibe. I recommend dropping in the Basslines MM pickup/preamp as a potential replacement - sounded great on mine at least. I had the Basslines pickup and preamp in my OLP, and it sounded so good that I decided to have them put into my Stingray and have my Stingray's original pickup and preamp put into the OLP. I figure I can always have them swapped back if need be. The funny thing is that I dig the tone of the Stingray electronics better now that they are in the OLP than when they were in the Stingray. Hmm. I love the complements I get when I use the OLP (with the stock Stingray electronics installed). I am usually tempted to NOT tell them about the pickup/preamp switch, but I don't want someone to run out and spend their hard earned money on an OLP expecting it to sound like my "special version" OLP. ;)

OLP's rule! - Highly recommended!

4. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Being a SR5 owner, I don't look for more "high end twang".......
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I don't doubt for a second that an OLP could outperform a Stingray in a GC. I've played outstanding basses in GC that I wouldn't give $.02 for if I had to keep them as they were on the rack. They simply seem to not care one bit about the condition of what hangs there. I guarantee the Stingray you played was in dire need of a setup and new strings. An OLP out of the box could easily sound and play better than any bass they neglected on the wall.

That being said - I AB-ed a Stingray and an OLP for a while in a Sam Ash once (not that Sam Ash is any better :) ) and while there was clearly a difference with the real thing, I was really surprised at how I thought the OLP nailed the MM sound. A lot better than many basses costing a whole lot more and trying to nail it. IMO OLPs are worth their weight in gold and I'm not quite sure why they haven't caught on as much as Squiers and others. I've a feeling newbies don't realize what OLPs are and just think they're some crap brand nobody ever heard of.

Last note: Take an OLP and a Stingray into a band situation and I'm sure the difference will become reeeeeeal apparent.
  6. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    A name like "OLP" isn't screaming "buy me".

Cripes, even if they called them stUngrays......
  7. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Original Licensed Product. Licenced and approved by the Ernieball company.

Yes, they are well worth the $$. Buy used and invest in a couple of standard upgrades and you'll really be onto somthing.

I love all four of mine...