Played Embellisher's bass today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Well, not literally, of course :D

One of my local stores recently became a 'Peavey Power Centre', the first in the world to do so. A huge stage is set up just to showcase Peavey gear. Besides having all the amp heads you could need, cabs stacked three high and Wolfgang customs EVERYWHERE, they had two of every line of Peavey basses. Fury's, Grind's, and yes, CIRRUS BASSES. Considering I cruise my local stores twice weekly, and have been doing so for 18 months, I haven't seen any Cirrii before. So, as you can imagine, seeing a four and a six had me quite astonished.

BOTH basses were Tiger-Eye customs, just like Em-Bel's. The six was £2250 and the four was £1130. The four was cheaper than a new Stingray or Sterling four. By my (in)accurate calculations, the five would be £1650.

I immediately picked up the six. One of the best Low B's I EVER touched. String spacing was a smidge narrow for slapping, but with a pick it killed. I'm no sixer, and I now know I probably never will be. This bass showed me how good a six could be, and at the same time why it didn't suit me. The neck was beautiful, but I found it too much like a Kingston neck. Of the 5 sixers I have played, this bass felt the best and I still wasn't that comfortable with it. I applaud Peavey wholeheartedly on it, it is a work of art without a doubt.

The finish was immaculate, the bass balanced beautfully and it looked the dogs bollocks. The fretwork was beyond compare, although bear in mind I have never seen anything like a Sadowsky or Fodera, so my opinion might be a little invalid :D. Thanks to a good friend of mine who works in the store, the bass was also beautifully set up, you just had to touch the strings and they were fretted!

The thing that got me the most, and clinched the deal, was the fact that the pickup covers were curved to match the neck curvature. That and the rolled wood knobs.

AND I didn;t even plug it in. I was scared I'd like it too much and order a five string, sell my body and pay off the debt that way :D.

Congrats Embellisher, you have a monster.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How did my Cirrus wind up in Manchester?:p

Let's show everyone else what it looks like.

3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX

Is this somehow a good thing?
  4. This would be the UK equivalent to "the sh**".
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    LOOKS NICE JEFF!!!! :eek:
  6. In reality, the colour is a lot lighter, more honey than dark. The one I played had a maple board and lighter wood on the knobs, but everything else is identical to Em-Bel's. I was also surprised at how little it weighed...

Gonna have to go back and plug that four in...I could afford it one day :D
  7. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    The string spacing on that Bass looks good for Me (at least at the Pickups, I d have to see more of the fret board).. The Back is Pretty sweet. Nice Bass Embellisher...
  8. wicked ! it even has the " CE " tag on it :p

but holy-pile-of-dog-sh :eek: !!!

those 6-stingers cost 3359 euro over here :eek: !
  9. BTW - £2250 = $3420.

Just for your convenience ;)
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah this is the big problem and why they haven't been stocking them in the UK. I asked a few shops and they said the price was too high - it puts them in competition with very high-end basses and the Peavey name is usually associated with budget gear over here, so they didn't reckon people would be prepared to pay this sort of money.

So you could buy a custom made, hand-built Sei 6-string for less than this!! :eek:

This price puts them up against Sadowskys, Laklands, Ken Smith etc and generally these names have more status and will hold their value better, so it makes the Cirrus a "bad buy", in effect. :(
  11. Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's certainly a better price, although only available for on-line ordering - it's always going to be higher to stock in shops, which was what I was talking about.

But even so, if you compare this to £750 for a Yamaha TRB6, on the same site, then the Peavey is still looking expensive.....
  13. With the state of the Euro = Dollar, £2250 = $3420 = (approx) 3420 Euro. So your price is actually better Allo...
  14. Those aren't the Tiger Eye customs.

For £2250 a Sei would blow the pants off anything on the market IMO.