1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played Epifani cab, didn't like.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GearHeadBassMan, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I was at the boston guitar works a weekend ago with the band and I was perusing the bass section (a couple of gems, including a fliptop with an unfortunately broken power cord) and I came across an epifani UL410, I believe a series 1.

plugged it up with a thunderfunk that was handy :)hyper:) and plugged in a new fender j as a reference.

and... I didn't like it one bit.

I felt the tone was flat, uninteresting, and didn't react to my playing the way I feel my avatar does (there was no compression on the Tfunk that i was aware was one, all knobs set flat.)

There was a schroeder 1212 on hand as well, so I hooked that up with the same setup and WOWZERS! I've never really used 12s, but if this is the kind of fullness that can be expected of them I'll save up for a B212 avie!

Anyone else feel that epis are just a little too, err, flat?

2. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I've never tried a 410 so no comment there. However, I can tell you my Epi UL2-112 blew the doors off of my Avatar SB112. Once I tried the Epi I sold that Avatar asap to fund the Epi.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    There are alot of epi 410 users here who love that cab. Just goes to show everybody has different ears.

4. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    I do want to commend you for trusting your ears. I think it is important to (whenever possible) try before you buy with musical equipment

In the end *you* have to satisfy yourself.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I plugged into a heavily amplified Epi310 @ Bass Alone in San Diego & didn't quite get it myself. Plugged into the Bergantino 322 next to it & almost got blown through the wall (20 feet away.)

6. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    sure the tone's flat... that's why i love my 3x10 (plus the relatively light weight)

hey trust your ears because there is no perfect cab, and no perfect bass.

7. Yea, this is definetly a case of me saying the cab "wasn't for me" rather than "it sucked", just fyi, although you guys have caught on to it. It was definetly a usable sound, it's just my style is a more "in your face and gut" approach, and felt the schro was far better suited to my style.

It's definetly about opinion. Is that a sensitivity issue? (for example, the schro being a much higher sensitivity than the epi?) where's Tom/Bill?

8. funkymonk77

funkymonk77

Jan 21, 2008
    what about the perfectbass.com?? Heresy!!

9. As one who has gigged both of those cabs quite a bit, they are really different. The Epi is big, wide, pure, while the Schroeder is attenuated in the low end, has a strong spike in the low mids, and a bit of a hole in the upper mids. That makes it sound quite a bit louder (higher SPL as typically measured in the midrange due to less real low end) and more 'up front', especially in a solo trial situation in a small room.

Both are great for what they are IMO, and as you say, it just depends on the tone you want. The 410UL is a wonderful pop/funk cab, and with the right amplification, can really give you that modern, wide, pure 'studio monitor' type tone in a live setting. The Schroeder is much more of what I consider a 'modern rock' voicing, slotting your bass 'higher' in the mix and punching through, versus putting that big pillow under the band.

There is a also a good chance that the Epi you tried was 8ohms and the Schroeder 4ohms, which makes a BIG difference with the Thunderfunk head. And then, there is the mix and match. I actually prefer the TF/Schroeder match-up versus the TF/Epifani match-up. Lot's of variables!!!!

The Avatar 410 that I've played kind of sat in the middle of the two cabs you are discussing. It had much less low end extension versus the 410UL, a much lower quality/harsher tweeter/crossover, but a more even mid voicing than the 1212, especially in the upper mids. IMO!

Just depends what you want. I dig them both for what they are.

My guess is, you would like the Bergantino AE410 a LOT... all the aggressive mid punch of the 1212, but much more even, more true low end!

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    This is why we all should stop answering "what cab/amp/bass/socks should i get" threads and others should stop asking that.

:smug:

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    yeah, that's a pretty good idea. You have to HEAR what you are going to play - and you have to hear it at volume. Stores can be REALLY deceptive for bass gear. In a perfect world, there would be a drum kit and guitar rig set up so your band could come in with you. How you sit in the mix is really where your tone matters, not how it sounds while you are noodling or testing stuff out. In live situations, I've heard very highly rated gear sound like crap, and very lowly rate gear sound great.

Now, as far as Epifani goes, I really like my 4x10 and my 2x10, but they are the old, pre-neo, heavy-as-hell cabs made in NYC. I did try them out with a few heads and settled on an Ashdown ABM 400 - but I recall really not digging how a few heads drove them (Eden & EA leap to mind, but that was a long time ago). When I diddled with a new Epi cab at Bass Player live, it left me feeling "flat" - but it was a new MIC cab with an Epi head.

No matter - to each his own.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Not all things are for all people.
    Having said that, I'll be taking my 410UL to work tonight.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It has gotten old, hasn't it?

14. I don't get this at all:confused:. IMO, this is a good example of doing MORE of this. It's so hard for anyone to try anything in these days of disappearing brick and mortar stores and declining inventory in the ones that still exist.

And, trying one cab from any given manufacturer with one head in one situation can actually be more misleading and less helpful than hearing from a bunch of people who have used that cab on gigs with a bunch of different varieties of amplifications, etc.

That being said, I agree, posts about 'I personally like or dislike this cab' without giving very specific reasons are relatively useless:smug:

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I think the UL410 is a very nice cabinet. ONE of the nicest on the market. ;)

Having said that, a few comments:
    * I always recommend people use their equipment when evaluating gear. ...in this case, your bass and your head.
    * Also, tis fine if it isn't the cab for you. My guess is that you're more of a rock player. ...guessing.

16. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    I agree 100%

17. bearshimmy

bearshimmy

Feb 14, 2005
    I didn't care for it much either, but the PS series is great, very beefy sounding.

18. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    I bought the Avatar 212 and 210 and based on TB posts. When I played them at a band practice it took less then 3 songs to realize I didn't like the sound from them, so out they went. I then purchased a 4 ohm Epi PS410 and I couldn't be happier with the sound. I use a LMII with the Epi for classic rock. I was used to using an Ampeg 810 and the Epi sounds even better to my ears. The Epi PS410 is reasonibly priced as well and I fully recommend it. However I've never played through the UL series.

19. +1 to the above two posts. The Epi PS line has a bit more low mid presence and punch than the very wide, deep and pure UL voicing. To oversimplify, the PS is voiced more for a punchy rock tone, and the UL is voiced for a more open, articulate pop/funk/jazz tone.

20. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Thank you KJung, for a really useful assessment of the differences in cabs. Very helpful, thanks a lot!