1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played every bass at L&M...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benny the Finger, Feb 25, 2016.

1. image. ..and the ONLY bass I would have entertained buying was a MIA Fender P...
    I kinda dug the Fender Dimmension but there was something about the feel i didn't like...
    The Epi's were so poorly setup that I couldn't play longer than a few minutes...
    I like the fast Ibby necks but again the feel didn't seem to fit me...which is strange (my #1 is a '83 Roadstar II and I love that)
    They had a MIM Geddy Jazz that looked hot and played great but was 1800$...that's insane in my books
    I wish we had a bigger selection here as I had a day with no kids, no work and nothing to do but GAS for a new bass...

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Congratulations!
    Seriously, that's the way to do it. I tried out 50 to 60 basses before I decided on my Fender.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's a good way to narrow it down alright.

That being said, I used to work in the MI business. I bet the staff was ready to kill you in the face by the time you left. :cool:

(In fact, they were probably huddles around the corner discussing different ways to do it without getting caught. Been there....done that.) :wacky:

dtsamples, old spice and jd56hawk like this.
  4. I fed then 'Frankenstein' for a bit, but was for the most part very tasteful...

5. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    What sucks now about most Music Stores is there is rarely any good stuff. Just mass produced basses with poor setups. If you like the Geddy Lee, you can buy a Bacchus Craft 4 from VSN for half the price, and it is a better bass. Same look, same fast neck, better pickups, higher quality. Unfortunately no way to demo, but if you know what you want - it's a no brainer.

Benny the Finger likes this.
  6. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

And you didn't get kicked out?

7. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Which location? The Markham store seems to be much better stocked with basses than any other store I've been to (Rickenbacker, Dingwall, Ken Smith, EBMM).

graphics1988 likes this.
  8. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

The Markham store is in a neighbourhood that has some money and seems not be unique that way. The stores in Pickering, Oshawa and Scarborough have the same olds every time I go to look.

graphics1988 likes this.
  9. Sydney, Cape Breton

10. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I don't know that the store has access to a wealthier clientele than say North York, Mississauga, Burlington or especially Downtown. I think there is just someone there who cares a little bit more, or has earned the ability to make decisions outside the usual corporate "same old" products.

I live right by Square One and visit the Mississauga store once a month... same old Fender / Squier / Ibanez / Epiphone with some a Stingray or Godin mixed in.

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    IMO If you go to a mass market store that sells everything from harmonicas to ukuleles to flutes to drums, you will find merchandise. It's a volume business.

If you go to a store that sells guitars and basses only, you are far more likely to find a selection of better instruments that are well set up and cared for. At least that's been my experience.

12. Lowendtech

I would so love to visit your store but it's a timing thing. You're only open when I'm at work. One of these days I'll have to exclude myself from the normal proceedings of my day and get down there.

MovingPitchers likes this.
  13. I have spoken with countless L&M employees and managers and the answer to your concerns are pretty simple, they only stock instruments that their data shows, will sell in that geographic area.
    The Scarborough store is located in an area that is essentially in a low income area, hence the lower level instruments in stock. The Markham store is managed by a bass player and as such, and given the status of the Markham area, he is able to order and stock high end equipment. Downtown store is the flagship and will stock most of everything, but if you want to try out a Fodera, it's the Markham store.
    They don't do setups on basses, unless you buy it.
    OP, your experience is consistent with mine.
    Fishheadjoe

Benny the Finger likes this.
  14. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
    True that.

By the way, I made a trip to Club Bass when I was in Toronto a few years ago. Great experience and great selection of instruments. It was a bit of a hike via public transport from where I was staying, but worth the visit.

Even though I didn't choose to purchase an instrument to cart home to the US, I did buy one of your Club Bass baseball caps and wear it from time to time out and about in the NYC metro area. :cool:

TolerancEJ and MarkoYYZ like this.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Very true. General music stores can only keep so much stock on hand, guitar and bass stores are more focused on providing the selection and service that would be more catered to us. Even my local GC has far fewer basses these days on the wall. They can order for you seems to be the defacto answer you get when you ask about a specific bass you don't see in stock. Ideally you should be able to try the bass out before buying so it really defeats the purpose of going to a brick and mortar store. However, we in Michigan have quite a few good guitar/bass stores, it may necessitate a drive but at least you get to try a number of different basses. Here's a pic of one I was at lately, Motor City Guitars- this is just part of their bass selection, there's another wall with Fender/Gibson and Rics....this is like Disneyland! If you're ever near Detroit, this is one of those worth checking out. Screen shot 2016-02-26 at 11.26.39 AM.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    CB is open Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. And there's a jazz jam each Sat. from 2:00 to 4:00. Might be worth the trip from the 'Shwa'.

Full disclosure - in case anyone hadn't noticed, I am the technician there, so you might consider that I have a bias.

Benny the Finger and Lowendtech like this.
  17. Just over a year ago, I drove 100 miles to the GC & Sam Ash, which are right beside one another.
    I tried nearly every bass in both stores, with a lunch break in between. I was there all day & came in thinking I wanted a Rickenbacker.
    At the end of the day I went home with a MIM Fender Blacktop.

IMG_20151014_115543911-TB.

No, it didn't come with the Phil Lynott inspired pickguard, but that was my first modification, so it would match my Stratocaster:

IMG_20150505_124938118_PL.

18. That's craaaazy! What did you do - book a sleepover?
    On the other hand, as other's have said, that's the way to do it.
    I haven't bought too many basses new. The Ric was when I walked in to buy either a Ric, a Lado or BC Rich (this was the '80's). My next new bass was a Yamaha 5er but I had a dollar value in my mind so it meant not trying all the basses (the Yammy also had a great reference - my BB300, so I probably walked in biased).

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  19. Lowendtech

I'm sure I'll swing it. It's been on my to do list for a while.
    Lol. If I worked there I'd be biased likewise.