1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played for 15 min, amp overheated!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_Nishi, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Bass_Nishi

Bass_Nishi

Jul 14, 2013
    I played my Ampeg BA 112 for 15 minutes and it starting smoking! It was only at 5. Someone help me find the source! Thanks

2. That'd be the magic smoke that has leaked, requires expensive technician to replace. Frequently the obviously leaky parts leaked because something either side of them which may not appear leaky.

3. Bass_Nishi

Bass_Nishi

Jul 14, 2013
    Wait so what when wrong?

4. Just what he said - the magic smoke escaped. Don't tell us you've never studied Smoke Theory?!?

All amplifiers work on magic smoke - when the smoke flows properly, the amp works. When a component leaks, the amp stops working because of low smoke pressure. Vacuum tubes are like "smoke pumps," which artificially increase the pressure of the smoke through Vacuum Acceleration (tm)(r), and resistors strangle the smoke output like a slightly closed valve. When the valves leak, smoke squirts out, and the smoke can't move the speaker anymore. Resistors are usually the weakest parts in the smoke pipes and are often what the smoke comes out of, but it is very rare that a resistor pokes a hole in itself. When a hole develops you need to take it to an HVMS (High Volume Magic Smoke) technician to plug the hole and get a refill.

(go to tech. something was bad and took something else out with it and something burned because of it. it is good that you turned it off as where there is smoke, there is often fire.)

5. Bass_Nishi

Bass_Nishi

Jul 14, 2013
    It's a solid state though

6. SS magic smoke is slightly less magical but equally difficult to put back in.

7. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Nobody can know what went wrong without looking. Obviously, something failed. It likely wasn't your fault. Your only option is to have a tech fix it.

8. Even if you posted a picture of burned resistors and blown capacitors nobody could tell you how to put the smoke back.

9. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    Many solid state amps use MOSFETs to pump the smoke.

10. ...and that's direct from an Ampeg tech !

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Did the smoke smell like smoke? Maybe somebody stashed something in there.

Did the amp just smoke or did it shut down? Sometimes new amps have goop on them that burns off, then they are fine. If on the other hand it smokes every time you play it, you have an issue.

I would inspect the amp and see if anything looks charred inside. Note that your warranty will be void if you announce here that you opened the amp. Otherwise an authorized service center can look at it for you.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Getting the smoke out is easy....getting it back in......not so easy....

13. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    You guys are a rough crowd and don't cut a guy any slack. Having said that, I think it's either magic smoke or a hidden stash also.

14. It's not that hard to put it back in, the hard part is finding the correct smoke.

I've never seen Ampeg SS smoke available anywhere. British cars, and especially motorcycles, which are probably the most susceptible to smoke loss, were much easier to get replacement smoke - at least back in the day. NOS smoke is still available on ebay.

Smokekit2.

I'd check and see if Ampeg smoke is available. Don't try to use the Lucas smoke in an Ampeg amp. It's only suitable for Whitworth electronics.

15. Avoid 5h-1T smoke at all costs.

16. 3star2nr

3star2nr

Jun 2, 2013
    IF its a used amp you have a short somewhere thats causing it to do that.

Your EQ settings might also cause it to work harder. Example if you have your gain up and master down or you have your bass, and mids cranked and the gain and volume low.

The amp should have a cooling fan.

But yeah I had similar issues with my amp turned out to be my eq settings.

Try this set everything to flat and try to do it again. Iff your amp has a fan make sure its working and clean.

17. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    I think you inhaled to much of that smoke:meh:

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Everyone knows the magic smoke is made of the one of the most dense elements known to man: Managerium!!

19. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Hey quit bogarting that smoke! Puff, Puff give!

20. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Criley-Core Technologies proudly announces its newest product:

The Magic Smoke Replacement Kit!

We've all been there. Mid-way through a performance, the Magic Smoke escapes from your amp's internal smoke chamber and you're done for the night.
    Until now, this would have resulted in a 3 hour round trip to the nearest authorized Magic Smoke replacement service center and a $50 deposit, followed by a 6 week wait and an additional $200 for parts and labor.

But Criley-Core Technologies has changed all that!

Our Magic Smoke Replacement Kit allows you to refill your amp's smoke chamber in a matter of minutes.
    Simply connect the miniature smoke generator to the battery, suck on one end of the assembly, and quickly blow the resulting Magic Smoke into any 1/4" jack on your amp.

And it's not just for emergencies! It's ideal for routine maintenance, too.
    If used regularly, the special conditioning and sealing agents in the Magic Smoke Replacement Kit will recharge and replenish the Magic Smoke in you amp before it has a chance to leak out.

Special introductory pricing:
    Only $75 per kit + $25 shipping and handling.
    (Sorry, only one kit per address at this introductory price.)

Each kit includes a carrying case/charging unit, 2 batteries, 5 miniature smoke generators, and car charger.

(Any resemblance between the Magic Smoke Replacement Kit and an electronic cigarette starter pack is purely coincidental.)