1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played My '64 P Bass Sat....Whew!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbwdog, Apr 12, 2010.

1. LOL!...This might sound noobish, but I just gotta tell somebody!

Been playing my Jazz exclusively for the last 4-5 years, but decided to drag out the old warhorse. I've had this bass since '78 and have to say, it's one of the best basses I've ever played.
    Every so often though, I forget just how good it plays and sounds, so I'll play it on a few gigs just as a reminder.

Sorta like hooking up with one of your favorite old girlfriends.:hyper:

That is alll!! :p

2. I think the oldest bass I have is about 8 years old. I like to keep things in a slow state of turnover. I also just bought my first P-bass ever, even though I've never been into Fenders in general or Ps in particular. I just decided that, after 23-odd years of playing, I needed to have one in the toolbox.

I was surprised by how much I ended up liking it. It's coming out gigging with me this week-end.

3. haha...i know exactly how you feel. last year i sold a les paul classic that i'd had since i was 15. i sold it to an old friend so before shipping it I cleaned/conditioned the fretboard, new GHS 10's and a good setup/polish. i looks like it's new(flamed top sunburst finish...yummm!), played like butter and sounded even better than i remembered. santana for days on the neck pickup! Anyways, I hadn't played it in 4 or 5 years, and after that i was really sad to see it go. =). i'm comforted by the fact that he is a collector with well over 50 guitars and it will probably rarely get played.

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Wish I had a '64 P Bass that I rarely used and just pulled out to remind myself how good it is. I'm 27 years old and wish I had the dough to grab some goldies.

Enjoy that P Bass!!!

5. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Where are the pics of this supposed bass... eh?

6. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    No pics, no '64.

Related note: no pics, no hooking up with your old girlfriend.

7. Well, there are some floating around here on TB, but from about three years ago. My hard drive crashed in '08 so I lost everything on it.
    She's married now anyway.....but the bass is LPB, faded to some funky ass shade of green (because of yellowing), with lots of wear.

8. Yeah, if I haven't played one in a long time, it's usually going to go up for sale at some point. The only one I really miss is my old Gibby T-Bird. But honestly, From my heavy-metal youth, I've turned into a Celt-rock root-fiver, so I need a T-bird like a squirrel needs a catheter.

I had a cheapo fretless for nigh on a decade because I was hoping I'd have the patience to deal with an unlined fingerboard. Forgettit. I gave up and sold it last year. I also has a Washburn hollowbody that was my main axe for 11 years until I got my Lakland. I donated it to Cuba after a hurricane devastated that country's music community last year.

But the one I still miss is that T-bird. This thread shows why it's *not* always a great idea to shed unused instruments.