Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played my first bigger gig - in a church

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So, I had my first gig today - at least the first bigger gig (that means > 100 people - and this time it was a lot more...) :D
    About a month ago one of the guitarists at the uni christian group's praise & worship band if I would play it their church, 'cause they need a bassist for the Easter mass :)
    It went pretty well, too - except for some songs i didnt know we were going to play, and I didnt even have the notes for them... so then i tried to play along or just stay quiet... but the rest was good. I did some variations to the original (you know just the usual things... ;) ), and they fit quite well... I wasnt any bit more nervous than at usual rehersals, so that went quite well, too. my only problem is a bit of a headache right now... :rolleyes: Hey, they told me to turn it up :p Yeah, my parents told me that i was a bit loud, but it was very good, it had a good atmosphere, I played very nicely, etc, etc.

So, it was good :) (sorry, ran out of smilies :p). I know many here play in church bands, how was you first church gig?

2. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    right on man! glad you had fun..

gotta love that pull-a-song-out-of-your-a$$-without-telling-anyone-you-wanted-to-sing-it scenario.. happens to me on a weekly basis. interval studies are now your friends!!

3. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Let us know when you play the Vatican.
    I personally don't play churches, but if that is your gig, take it to the highest level. How does a fuzz effect sound in a big church?

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I did this church gig just because a friend of mine asked me to help them out ;) and it was fun, too - otherwise I'm more into metal, funk and jazz (and what you would call Primus's musical style... :cool: ). Fuzz? I dont know, I played without effects, but the el/ac guitarist used some od/dist for some parts... I dont know how that sounded at the other end of the church, though, he was standing next to me...

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    At least the next will go with a strict schedule and (hopefully) no extra songs will be in it... But this next one doesnt sound as good as the first one :( anyway, there are some nice songs in it after all, and I can play bass, so :cool:

6. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Maybe you can bring Metal into the church. "Metal Church" by Metal Church might be fun. My friends have a band called Yetis In Church. They rock. Their temple is a bar. I always wanted to play bass in Jesus Christ Superstar. One of these days I will get my **** together and audition for it. Killer bass lines in there. :bassist: