Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played My First "Gig" on Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Roark Haver, May 2, 2002.

1. I played my first public performance on bass this past weekend and it went...pretty well. A few miss-guided notes here and there, but all in all, not too bad.

I played bass at my church's annual youth musical at 3 services last weekend. I've been teaching a couple of young drummers the past few years and they were able to play the whole show on drums freeing me up to go for it on bass. It was a gas! I even wrote some bass lines for a couple of songs using some "theory" (thanks to jazzbo's article and the Libster web site that I found out about here).

This site has been a wealth of information for me. I almost feel like I can join in some of the conversations now that I've got some performances under my belt (almost, but not quite).

Thanks all for the great info and encouragement.

2. hehe good job
    never feel like you arent welcome
    every bassist is welcome
    i've not been here long and i cant remeber getting abuse for being new

3. I've never gotten abuse for being new, just for being a drummer. Well, at least I'm one of those drummers that actually uses utensils and a napkin.

4. A rarity in the music world.

j/k

Congratulations on your first show Drummer, and I am glad you havent been abused on TB. Does this mean that you are going to convert all the way?:D

5. Origionally posted by PLehmer
    You know my mother-in-law once asked me if I ever thought about converting from being Lutheran to becoming a Catholic. My answer was "Why would I want to regress" Bad son-in-law, bad son-in-law.

In all seriousness I could never give up playing drums after 31 years. Someday I might even get good at it. I would like to be proficient at both. Playing bass has helped me to re-define my groove on drums and to (IM0) play more musically. Playing drums has given me good time on bass along with an understanding of what a good groove should be. The two instruments really do compliment each other very well. One nice thing about bass is that there is less equipment to haul.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's funny ... that Lutheran/Catholic thing. I grew up a Lutheran and married a Catholic too. The only difference I can tell is that Lutherans don't have a Pope. Now I'm a buddhist, so the difference is moot.

7. We Lutherans don't have those nice padded "footrests" either.

You are correct, the two are very close theologically. Most of the issues that Martin Luther had with the Catholic Church went away years ago. He never wanted to start a new denomination, he just wanted to reform the Catholic Church of that time.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hmmmm ... we had the padded footrests. A Missouri Synod thing, I suspect.

9. Missouri Synod! Ouch! I grew up LCA. We merged with the ELC and are now the ELCA, a pretty liberal brand of Lutheranizum. Well, for a bunch of Lutherans anyway. Clapping on 2 & 4 is still a little dangerous for us.

10. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    I'm catholic so I don't know sh**

11. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    HAHA! my granparents go to a brethren church, where a rule was passed recently that NO clapping is allowed, except for performances by children, because it makes them feel good. otherwise, none. that was a shock for me, i grew up having a full band on stage on sunday mornings...

12. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    At least you could clap and have some outlet of expression even if it was only for children while at the church. :( I'm catholic. We sit, we stand, we kneel, we basically worship like drones to what is on a normal basis souless, mind numbing, depressing music and endless mono-somewhat-prattling voice of a priest going on and on about the good book. USED TO A FULL BAND AND ALL? I WOULDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT EITHER.
    :( CATHOLIC= worship with out expression. I'm not even going to go on to discuss the conduct of priests (it's a sad time in history right now to be catholic more than usual.) we can't even fully trust our religious leaders anymore. Anyway, this is the last post mentioning religion that will be from me. i don't like spending an hour every week for someone who maybe a closet pediphile to tell me how i'm going to hell and all. i don't want to come to TB to talk about religion. can we leave the topic of religion in our local house of God ppl? please.

13. I didn't want this to be a religion thread, there is already a good one that has been going on for a while over in Off Topic.

I just wanted to share that that I played my first gig as a "bassist" (man, that don't sound right at all!). It just so happened that it was in Church. The rest was just Lutheran humor (such as it is).

14. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    if you are trying to be sarcastic to me, why don't you look at the topic of the thread and my post? do you see anything in the title (TOPIC) of this thread to denote anything for theological debate? i know how to read munji. as for budism no i haven't concidered it. thanks for your advice on this matter, but no thanks. i'm not interested.

15. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Congrats on getting through your first gig as a bassist Dude. I'm sure you will only do even better over time should you concider to devote more time to it. sorry about any negative vibes on your thread man, but all i said is can we leave the theology out? i didn't do it in a rude way and i don't deserve ppl getting smart with me, nor will i allow them to get away with it without me defending myself. i wish you the best Drummer Dude. Peace.

16. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Better thin skin than no back bone, Munji. When I'm being picked on, which surely seemed your intent, and it continues to be; you will find I have one. As for the your lofty tone, and I must say your sophmoric, psuedo intellectual style of trying to tell me off or intimidate me; I'll tell you right now it will not work for you. Sorry, but try another newbie with no balls. As for your self-esteem, I don't give a rat's ass. Step on mine, and I will do all I can to plant my foot where the sun don't shine. I'm still new here. Already, I have seen what thin skinned really is, Munji, at least in TB. I don't even come close to it. You can appologise for being a creep, or fade into obscurity where I am concerned, Munji. Either one would suit me just fine. Just leave me alone. If you think i'm thin skinned now, try me when I'm livid. Good day, Munji.

Sorry Drummer. not like i planned to make your thread a warzone. talk to Munji on that one man. i'm done with this thread and hopefully with Munji.

17. Popcorn!
    Get'yer popcorn!

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I win.

19. Two bags over here please!!!

P.S. Haplo, as a practicing Catholic, I very much resent your above statement. The mass is a very holy and sacred thing, and if you dont see that, then you need to reconsider your faith, or denomination. Like munji, not trying to start a theological debate. I'm finished with the topic.

20. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Even though it's not the truth, Munji. Believe it, and I shall believe that you believe it. Enjoy your delusions of grandeur.