Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played my first gig yester day

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Apr 30, 2001.

1. LoL. I played my first show thing. It wasn't with my band. A few of my guitar friends were playing a talent show kind of thing. They wanted me to play. Well.. I practice two days for one song with one set of kids and I learned the song for the other kid the morning of the show (after 4 hours of sleep). Well.. time for the show.. we set up.. (we didn't have a drummer for the 1st song) and then they forgot to bring the cd which they programmed the drums onto. We start playing the song and the two guitarists sound like they're echoing eachother! I came in at the right time but with the two guitarists playing at diff paces I had the most trouble figuring out which one to follow! The singer made me sing along in the bridge part and I messed up with the riffs b/c I never practiced the singing. Ok, that song is done. A diff guitarist gets up and there's a drummer now. We start the song.. it goes off well at first.. after the verse and chorus.. we lost it. We stopped and tried again. This time it goes a little smoother.. I get lost b/c the guitarist has his little amp and it's not that loud. Then the little bridge part which is just bass and drums.. that went worse b/c the song is in 3/4 but the drummer was playing 4/4. Well, that was it. Well, it can only get better from now. :) :cool:

2. I feel like I've had that exact same gig. No matter how much you feel like you are screwing up, remember that you are the guys up there on stage. Everyone else is sitting down there on the floor. This automatically makes you FAR cooler than them, in my mind. Nobody else had the stones to do it :)

FF

3. Kind words from FF :) Thanks man.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You've got the two most important elements of a crash and burn gig -

1. You obviously know what went wrong and how to fix it.

2. Your acceptance to lump it, chalk it up to growth, and vow to do better next time out.

If you were posting here saying, "What do you think might have happened?", I'd be worried. But I think as long as you fix it, polish it and not let it haunt you, determination is all you need.

5. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    So IKUITB is no longer a virgin. Well, you know what they say about the 1st time. :D

6. Coincidence! I had my first chirch song yesterday, actually, they had me play two, cause they thought I could handle it. Not as hard as I thought, I wasnt nervous or anything

Willz, it only gets better from there! :D

7. SlappinDaBass

SlappinDaBass

Mar 29, 2001
    My first gig was at a birthday part. We didnt have a drummer a singer or the second guitarist that was supposed to show up. So it was me and the other guitarist. He sang. And I use the word "sang" loosely. We had one song that we wrote and like 5 covers. We messed up on our own song which was about 4 chords. We just looked at eachother and laughed. Not like a "O my that was funny" laugh. It was a "O **** we suck now" kinda laugh.

8. wow my other 1st time went sooooo much better, lmao. :D but anyway.. lmao

I can't wait until I play my first show with my band. :D But first we have to have practices... =X damn guitarist and drummer! hehehe

9. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    This is how i felt about my gig on Saturday. Our actual singer/keyboardist was out in NY for some reaons or another so we had to find a replacement singer. The guy didnt even practice the songs. He doesnt know any lyrics (mostly covers) and we gave him plenty of time to prepare for the gig. He also stands up there with all his lyric sheets and he doesn't know the rhythm to any song (when he's supposed to come in, etc.). This was at a highschool party by the way. After the first song people started walking away, by the end of the second song there were only about 5 or 6 people still watching us out of the kindess of their hearts. To boot, while we were playing November Rain (groan) my guitarist had to play the keyboard parts as well as the guitar and he dropped his pick and couldnt find it mid-song, and that was his only pick. Finally, at the end of the show we get shown up by some lame heavy metal band that played the same riff over and over again and got plenty of cheers from the "crowd". Maybe i should by a five string and tune the B to A and just play that one note all the time with a lot of distortion. Peopl these days are stupid enough to like it. (Sorry, i'm just venting out all my aggression)

10. i have to agree with kickin himself on not letting this bother him, good move, i try not to let anything bother me, i take life to lightly...oh well...but yeah....live in the now, just use bad experiences for just that, experience, its part of learning, and we never stop learning, so i geuss its safe o say we never stop making mistkaes!!! haha

11. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    I had my first gig (kinda) a few weeks ago. It was just me and my friend in his basement. He played guitar. We couldnt get the drummer to come over cuz he said his set was too big :rolleyes: It went a lot better than I thought it would. I learned some new songs and so did he.
    But last week, my other friend and I played in his garage. We sucked! It was total garbage. I don't know if it was me or him, but it wasnt too great...

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is slightly off topic, but I wanted to save a little bandwidth by not opening a new thread. We're learning some new songs, and I cut the practice CD's for everybody and handed them out 2 weeks ago. We all agreed to learn three of the songs for the next practice. Ususally, we get about 50% cooperation. Whoa! Thursday night, everybody had learned the songs, and we played two of them well enough for performance the first time through. I was stoked.

When we got started about 23 years ago, we fairly sucked (we had a 12-year hiatus, so we've only been back together six years now). Mostly, our suckiness stemmed from being out of tune and tuning incessantly (but to no avail) between sets. We decided when we got back together that admission to the band meant owning an electronic tuner. Now, everybody's in tune, and the audience doesn't have to listen to Chinese water torture music. Now, even if we suck, (which we don't) we suck in tune. That's all.

13. gazzabom

gazzabom Guest

Apr 9, 2001
    Wales
    Our first gig went alright i must admit. I was sh*ting myself preparing for it (not helped by the main band having a 2 hour sound check saying "One Two") And when we got on there was no room at all on the stage. If i would have moved to my right i would have knocked down a huge stack of amps. And if i moved to my left i would have smacked out guitarist in the face, and he was smacking into the symbals throughout our set. But the music was good. We even impressed the 'clubbers' who were only there for a second until they moved on to a nightclub. And just for the record this is what we played/

1. Be Quiet and Drive (Deftones)
    2. Sugar (System of a down)
    3. Shove it (defontones)
    4. Wake up (RATM)
    5. Piano (Glassjaw)

14. Shove it (deftones)

we also played that. We were supposed to play be quiet and drive as well but they said we ran out of time (bullshish!)