Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played my first Lakland today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Today I took my son to Guitar lessons at the local Music Go Round and my bass buddy Chris yelled at me to look what just came in.It was a Lakland Skyline 4402,black with a maple board.He'd been playing it for about an hour and he couldn't get over the sound,he could hardly put it down.

I plugged in to a 70's SVT head and a beat up old Ampeg isovent cabinet and cranked it up some.I agree with him,they just sound wonderful.I played with all the pickup,EQ ,series-parellel switch combinations and couldn't get a bad sound out of it.If it would have been a 5 string I would have been in serious trouble at home.I have two wonderful basses,a 80's Guild Pilot 5 and a American made Millenium 5 and I think I would have traded one in and sold the other to get the Lakland if it was a 5 string.I really didn't need this GAS right now.

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Gas happens as we all know, and Laklands do it to a lot of people. You'll really be in trouble if you get a 55-94 in your hands. The necks are SOOO comfy! The oil finish on the Chicago models does seem to give it an "already broken-in" feeling. Buckets of nice tones, I'll have to agree. Dan Lakin & crew build some nice instruments.

3. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    I have this board to thank for opening up my eyes to Dan and his fabulous basses.
    I'm not complaining though. :smug:

4. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    I got my Skyline 55-01 a couple days ago. And I can't put it down!!

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was never a big fan of Laklands...that is, until I visited the Lakland shop last summer. Now, I think I've found one of the finest basses I've EVER played, and it was a Lakland!:D

BTW: It was a USA Joe Osborne 5 string with a Bart preamp.

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    The number one arrow in my quiver is a Lakland standard 55-94. It's beat out ALOT of heady competition to rise to the top (and it's far from the most expensive). Can't speak for the 4's though, but I'm sure they're also great.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hah, that's good to hear. I've been thinking of buying a Skyline JO5 and putting a Bart NTMB 3.4 preamp in it.

8. I like their necks. Never been a fan (like Dan is...) for Bartolini anything. So I took the neck off my 55-94, and had another luthier build me a very similarly (slightly scaled down) body of light ash, nitro finish, and a single Bill Lawrence 5 p/u placed in an ever-so-sweet-spot; one knob (tone). It's always in one side of my double gig bag. He definately has a great shaped 5 neck!