1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played my first open mic ever

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Apr 19, 2010.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Picked up a cheap bass off CL last fall, I think it was October. Got a better one for Christmas (Washburn T-25), bought an Ampeg BA-115 from a TB'er in January, found some guys to jam with about February. Getting up at 5 every morning to practice so that the wife doesn't feel that playing music is distracting me from work and family. She's edgy enough about what this all costs.

Last night we played our first open mic, little dive of a local bar. The wife and kids spent the morning leafing through a Macy's catalog to find random phrases to use for a band name. We liked "Shirts, Pants, and More" at home. The guys ended up picking "No Money Down," though.

Four songs, probably were on stage all of fifteen minutes. Supersonic/Oasis, Heart of Stone/Rolling Stones, Say Please/Monsters of Folk, Mary Jane's Last Dance/Tom Petty. Drank two beers and listened to a lot of blues from the host band. Missed a few notes but we got the songs out ok... I think... at least people didn't boo. An old lady at the bar said we were playing "real music."

New Year's Resolution: Play in public. Check!

It begins...

2. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It just gets better, bro.

3. COBRARI

COBRARI

Apr 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    Congratulations!
    Remember this...
    Those mistakes you make... the patrons don't hear them.
    A band member might but the people enjoying the night out
    won't.
    Just stay in the Key called out, stay tuned, don't play too loud and you will do fine.

4. congratulations bro, I'm happy for you. Hmm maybe I'll have to try that getting up early to practice thing, I've been getting a whole lotta crap lately....but I already get up at 5:30 as it is :meh:

But I digress. I've got no input to put in as my 1st gig is still pending, but great job on knockin that first one out!
    :bassist: rock out forever

5. You know, your first paragraph is almost like my starting history... except I started with the used T-24, got my own amp a few months later, and yes, I got up a bit earlier to practice so it doesn't take time away from the wife and family... (up at 3:50am for me).

But as for your actual first public performance - Congratulations!!

6. guess if you can do it, so can I

7. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Jammin' with friends in front of an audience! It doesn't get any better! Okay, maybe if you get paid to do it, but having fun is it's own reward.

:)

X8