Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played my first Ric this weekend...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justBrian, Sep 2, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    and I'm sold. I am so gassing for one of these now I can't stand it. It was the 4001C64 or something like that-- I ran it through a Yorkville combo and just about died.
    So, anybody in the market for G&L? ;)

2. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    pm to you

3. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Great aren't they? :) I'll probably eventually move on to another #1 bass (major gassing for a Zon right now), but I will always have my Rick around for those special moments.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Bed,

Before sticking on any Rick, I'd suggest you try several models.

You tried the 4001C64 and from what I read it's a great instrument (sorry, they are not available here).

You also should try the following :

4004 Laredo
    4004 Cheyenne

Anyway, welcome to the Rickenbacker lounge !
    ;)

5. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I've never seen a 4004 of any type, in person. Everywhere I go, it's always 4003s or vintage 4001s. The 4004s look a bit odd to me, since I guess I'm entirely too used to the classic RIC look, but at the same time they look kinda nice. The 5-string looks interesting, but I'm wondering how it sounds (along with the rest of the 4004 series.) I've heard/read they don't sound quite the same as the older 4000-series basses.

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    How 'bout some G.A.S.?[​IMG]

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks a lot Tim :mad: ;) I want the blue one on the right. :D

8. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Thats just how i felt when i played one. I still have the gas, everytime one shows up at GC, i grab it, and wish i had the money to buy one. At first i thought they were ugly, but they grew on me, and then i finally played one, and it was amazing.

My favorite is the red one, or the jetglo in fromt.

9. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    call my technique flawed but I simply can't play a ric with the PU cover to save my life. It just doesn't feel comfortable. That said, the ones without the cover are among the best basses I've played.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You mean like mine? :D

11. Or like mine? :p

12. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Sorry! But I already bought that one from Ed Roman!

RF

13. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Seriously though! I LOVE my Ric! I have been playing Rics for many years and love them as much now as I ever have. Welcome to a "select" club!

RF:bassist:

14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    So you'll have to chose other than a 4001C64, because they are available only in MapleGlo (natural), FireGlo (reddish sunburst) and a few ones were made in JetGlo (black).

15. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, I like the 4001C64-- it's got the toaster p'up at the bridge. There is only one more dealer here in town, so I'll see if they have any of the others in stock.

16. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Randall Flagg, eh? Taken as stand on anything lately? ;)

Have you checked out Quigleys? THey are a Ric dealer-- I was wondering about their prices.

17. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Naw! I sure haven't! I was out of the music business and when I decided to "return", I went to Vegas and bought the Midnight Blue pictured above. Seriously! If you look at the ric on the far left you will note that it is a Chris Squire Ltd Edition. Nearly bought that one, but wanted to keep a little gamblin' money! I see you're from KC! Cool!!

"The Stand"...Great Book!!

RF

18. It's a midnight blue? I thought it was an Azureglo. I guess it isn't like mine then. ;) Still, love the blue color.

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I guess it's not like mine, either. Long live Azureglo!!!

20. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    :cool: meet the twins!!! :cool:
    [​IMG]