1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Played my first Ricky!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dakine, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Last night I went to a jam and played my first Rickenbacker. It was a 70's original, and it was the actual bass used on Chaka Khan's "Tell me Something Good!" The amp was an old Carvin head with a 2x15 speaker.

The really cool thing about playing this bass fingerstyle was how, by plucking the strings just slightly harder, you could get a hint of buzz that makes the note stand out. Even on really low notes.

Playing slap was a little bit of a challenge, had a hard time coaxing a convincing "thump". But popping the strings was great - very cool vintage woody sound, exactly like those old Sly Stone tunes.

My normal bass is a Pedulla Rapture, which sounds like a P-bass with really bright highs.

2. Ricks have a sound of their own. My '61 model 4000 has a brilliant, clean low end sound much like a piano!

I love the tone of my old ricky, they rock!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. RiC Ownz J00!

4. That's called growl in my book. Doesn't it sound sweeeeet?!? :bassist: :cool: