1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Played my first Smith today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beav, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Whoa! I really dig the tone on these basses. I love midrange and these basses are all about mids. The one I had the honor of playing was a 94' BMT. 7 peice neck and body.

The bass really didn't fit into what I consider a "high end" bass tone wise. I thought it had a great rock tone and played awesome!

Go me :hyper:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Who says you can't rock out on a boutique or high end bass? Just because others don't doesn't mean you can't break the mold. If the soound is good, go for it!

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 They are awesome basses. I just saw Readie Freddie Washington with Donald Fagan, and his Smith was awesome sounding.

One word of warning... the original 'big peghead' Smiths (with the black veneer on the peghead) were notoriously neck heavy in standing position, due to the 'big headstock' combined with the very short upper horn. They balance beautifully when sitting, but are hell with a strap on. Ken's newer designs totally fix that issue. Just make sure you play it standing for a while to make sure it feels OK to you.:)

4. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    4k is a bit out of my price range :D But I'd love to rock it though.

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Personally, I think the bolt-on Smiths are pretty sweet, and occasionally you can snag one for not too much. Of course, the neck-thoughs rock too!

Marshall

6. just played my 89 bt-4 tonight with big headstock and all. the bass i always wanted! a little neck dive, but i can cope. i think the vintage style basses look better than the new as far as four strings go, but i think the new body style looks better with the multistring basses. my mahogany core bt sounded great against two all tube halfstacks and a double bass kit. it can go from fusion to grind!

7. disregard what i just posted. smith.

8. pic. march0002.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That is the hottest Smith 4 I've ever seen.

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Keep your eyes on Ebay. There are really good deals to be had on Smiths. I got mine in mint condition "for thousands less" than the new price. . .

I don't know why Smith lose so much value. . . they shouldn't.

Maybe if Smith makes the wait for a new one a little longer, like Fodera, they would be hotter.

11. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    +1

That is a sweeeeeet looking Smith!

12. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

Or you can buy mine;)

13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Smiths are some of the best made basses money can buy. They don't get the hype anymore, but they were around before Fodera and many of the other custom basses.
    I have a bolt on BSR with maple wings and it sounds great! I debated for awhile about getting rid of it, but everytime I play it, I remember why I have it