Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played My First Solo Show

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Nov 2, 2003.

1. hey all,

just got to play an hour unaccompanied and I have to admit that it's an amazing feeling! I've had plenty of solo spots in bands and even done a song or two unaccompanied at open mic nights, but this was just a blast.

for anyone who hasn't tried it, I heartily recommend it. taking the chance was a great feeling, but having a crowd applaud for my material was just UNREAL!!

got some ideas for things I do and don't want to do next time and the future's loking much brighter than it was yesterday!

from the low end,

Stew

2. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    :) Congrats to you man. :cool:

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, you certainly have more balls than I do. ;) What were you playing? Ballads? Slap solos? Polka?

4. it seems ia probbly going to have to do the same thing just play by my self,if i wanna play gigs. every time i try to start a band it like doesnt work out,ia in a band now but its not wat i wanna be playing.

5. congratulations man, i hope to be doing a similar thing in the future. me and the guitarist in my band will be doing a acoustic deut gig together soon, but we'll also be are own solo stuff for a bit as well, and hopefully from that i'll go on to doing a whole show alone, but i'm not going to jump in at the deep end.

like superduck said, what sorta stuff were you playing?

Tom

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Congrats! Very cool to hear Stew. I hope you get a lot more of them booked.

7. hey guys,

thanks for the responses!

I was improvizing solos and melodies over my own recorded tracks. I keep a CD I use for practice that has some of my bass lines and chord progressions (all bass, no drums or effects), so I took it and used it for backing tracks.

I also did a couple of purely solo tracks.

this place has an open mic night and the owner caught one of my solos and asked if I'd consider playing a whole set. how could I say no?

as to the nature of the songs, I had a couple of ballads, a couple of Latin tunes, some fusion, and one weird reggae thing. I have no idea how I'd describe the unaccompanied stuff, but kboyd was there and he could try to put it into words.

I definitely appreciate the positive reinforcement. thanks, everybody!

:D

from the low end,

Stew

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice.......I´d love to do that some day in the (near)future

9. I absolutely recommend everyone who's curious try tackling a solo set. getting up in front of the crowd alone is cool, but trying your material before an audience is amazing!

from the low end,

Stew

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I've done some solo sets at my old high school, I had a solo concert actually, but I played with other people for some of hte songs.

it's a great experience, when you go up there, play some random improv and have people dig it :cool"

11. yeah, I've been able to do a few minutes at a time with various bands or getting up for a solo or two alone at an open mic night, but doing an entire set alone was WAY cool!

can't wait for the next one!

from the low end,

Stew

12. aw, shucks...

:oops:

you still think you're gonna be able to swing the 5th, man?

from the low end,

Stew

13. hey all,

I thought I'd add a couple of photos so you could see the basses I used...

from the low end,

Stew

14. and here's my mighty Conklin...

from below the radar,

Stew

15. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA

I will be there! Just tell me where. No problem.

16. I'll call you tomorrow at some point and we can figure it out.

looking forward to playing, Trip!

:D

from the low end,

Stew

17. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I'm not coming to play, I'm coming to shoot you! No, not really. I just had to say that...Just had to do it. Yes. I hadda. Umm Hmm! I will actually be in N.O. tommorrow night. My son has to have a minor procedure done to his feet Thursday morning. Check your PMs for my cell number. See you soon!

18. sorry about your son's procedure, but I'm glad you'll be here!

from the lows,

Stew