Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played my new rig at practice and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Jun 4, 2002.

1. ..I got drowned out by my guitar player. I'm kinda bummed. In the laste few months I have put together an entire new set-up. Lakland Skyline 55-01(from Gard),Eden WT-400,2 GS112's(from Gard).
    Well,we were jamming on a couple of our more "rockin" songs and I couldn't keep up with his 5150 combo(60 watts). He had it up on about "4" and it was LOUD! I got my Eden up almost halfway and the clip light kept coming on.
    I'm thinking that it is the sound of the Lakland. It's a pretty thick,bassy sound. That sort of sound eats up alot of power. I wish it had more mids and growl. It would cut better.
    Just wondering what you all thought. I'm pretty disappointed. I thought it would perform better. It sounds good,but you know. I have 400 watts at 4 ohms through 2 kick ass speakers.

2. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    suckage!

3. You need to play with your tone controls to get a tone that does cut through. If the amp is clipping alot you probally have the bass control on the amp set to high.

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I used to have that problem as well. Did you have the volume on the bass itself at max? That may be why the clip light kept coming on. Try turning the input signal knob and the master volume all the way down on the Eden, then set the Input volume on the Eden to 12:00 or maybe just a little bit past that. Then start playing on your bass and gradually turning up the volume on the bass. It shouldn't really start clipping until you're at about 70-85% on the bass' volume. If it does, go neutral with the tone settings on your bass. Repeat until the clip light just barely comes on everynow and then. Now try turning up the master out volume on the Eden head. You should be able to go pretty much full open since the Eden is only puting out 400 W to the 4 ohm load of both 112's in parallel, making for about 200W to each cab and they have an RMS of 300 or so, so they should do 200 W all day long.

Set the EQ's on the Eden (all of them including the parametric knobs) to 12:00 as well. That's a pretty standard and acceptable setting. Add as much of the grey enhancer knob as you desire. You should be able to get plenty of volume with these tips. Once you've got the volume you've been missing, then gradually try e.q.'ing the sound ON THE BASS FIRST, or leave the bass flat and tweak the EQ on the Eden, but beware of overkill. Also keep in mind that mids get heard the best, so try to accentuate those freqs.

5. Thanks for the input. I should have said in my first post that i have been running the bass and the amp controls flat (12 o'clock) and the enhance knob was at about 2 o'clock. And the clipping was the power amp,not the input. That's what was bothering me. I really thought it would be louder. I just hope I can get it to cut better. I hate getting lost under the drummer and guitarist. :mad:
    As much as I love gear,I would love it even more if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to find the right mix.

6. There is a potential partial cause of the problem right there: The enhance knobs scoops the mids. When I had my Eden I rarely had the enhance past 9 o'clock. Running the enhance at 2 o'clock would have been overkill. Scooped mids. Muddy tone. No cut.

Hope this helps!

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, i don't know about you dude but i,,,,,,,IS THAT A WAL ZOOM BOY?!?!?!? YOU SUCK! .....YOU SUCK YOU SUCK YOU SUCK!:D But anyway....I'm only running (at practise) 200 watts into one 4x10, and i can keep up with a guitarist that has a 50 marshall. He has to go around 8-9 to really drown me out. I do use alot of mids and play with a pick, but i used to play finger style with alot of 100 Freq range, and i could still be heard.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The enhance DOES pretty much suck the cut out of a bass. Believe me, it makes all the difference on these things...

9. To solve your problem, tell that moron guitarist to TURN DOWN. What is with these idiots that think more volume=better player?? Nobody sounds good when the band produces more sound than the room can accomodate.

10. I think it depends on what style you are going after. my 12's sound great for a "rootsy" vibe, blues, dub..etc. when I played more punk-jazz they didn't slice at all. A Marshall can easily drown that out. Add some mids or 4-6k see if you can cut through. Consider adding a 10" maybe? That whole mid scoop thing only sounds good in your bedroom.

11. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Make sure you have a fresh 9v. battery in your Lakland

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    An undenible truth.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    finally, somebody said it! :D

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, must be a new avant garde thing... :D:D

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I also set my enhance knob down (on a Nemesis amp, "budget Eden").

I think you should check the bass' output and the amps input gain.

You should get it so that its at a level where it causes the comp light to come up when play a little harder than usual. In other words in normal playing, it should flash on everyonce and a while.

If you are still having problems, try messing with the EQ. I find that a boost in the high mids (1-2k area) really lets me cut through with out the metalic click that you can get with a trebble boost.

Also boosting the bass can help since you will need less amplification along the entire bass range to get the funtamental to an audible level.

Yes the guitarist is probably too loud, but the WT-400 should be able to compete with that regardless of how high he sets his 60 Watt amp.

Peace
    Nick

16. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Should've got a Yorkville...

( * ) <<<< Barfly chucks a moon!!!

17. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I recently acquired the same setup, and am still experimenting with the sound. The Eden + Aguilar can definitely = mud if you're not careful. I concur with the observations about the "suck" knob (enhance); the only time I ever put it past 11:00 is for slap, and usually have it around 8:00, or zeroized with the bridge pickup pegged for the Jaco fart/funk sound. I run the EQ flat, except for the bass, which I have at 10:00. I'm not competing with guitars, but even with a full-size jazz band with drums and horns, I've never had to turn the master volume up past three, even using just one of the cabs. Back off on the bass some.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    In my owners manual for my Eden Nemesis, it says that the enhance knob is best left at or under the 9 o clock position.

Im pretty sure it wasnt designed to be cranked.

Peace
    Nick

19. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Last week, someone said that 2 112s could beat out a 4-10.

Now, everyone is talking about your bass's EQ, and the amp's enhance is too high. Bunk!!

You are simply not pushing enough air to cut through the band mix.
    If you are like most bass players, you want to plug the thing in, and rock!, Right?

You don't want to be turning around, wondering why it is loud, but you can't hear yourself. And what's with that clip light? And is your bass's battery dead, Etc...

That Eden 400 will kick ass with 2, 8 ohm 4-10s or 4-10 + 2-10 cabs parallel (4 ohm load) with the enhance at 10:00 and the EQ flat!

Now I was in Boston, and the store had 2 Berg 112s running off a 300? watt amp. It sounded huge......for a store setting! Now, I play with 2 different rigs, an Eden 1000W and a vintage SVT, into either a 4-10 +2-10, or a 4-10 + 1-18 Eden cabs. These amp/speaker setups can BURY a 100 watt tube Marshall + 4-12s plus keyboards. I do not believe that 2 x 112s could even come close.

Someone, throw me a bone here, Huh?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, i've had the same feeling. the eden's pretty warm sounding in its own right, and the Aguilar GS112 has a really thick milkshaky low mids tone, too. try for a more cutting tone and ease up on the enhance knob.