Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played on Rickenbacker saturday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jan 21, 2002.

1. I was @ Musik Produktiv in Germany last saturday to check out new speakercabs, and make a review of the Warwick Rockbass.

Unfortunately.. the Rockbass was nowhere to be found :(

There was a red Rickenbacker 4003 standing there so i picked that one up. Real nice sound.. superior finish & construction.. but what a pain in the butt that thingy over the rear pickup is.. where do you put your fingers ? in front or behind ?

I also played on a Warwick Streamer Stage II 4-string, a Fender P-Bass 50's-reissue ( i think ) and a Warwick Streamer LX 6-string, but the 6-stringer sucked.. i think the battery was dead or something..

then i spent about 3 hours toying with a cello :)

2. that's why most people remove that 'thingy' over the rear pick up, it was already removed when I bought my Rick. I was thinkin of gettin' a new one to replace the old pick up cover, but from what I've heard that thing indeed is a pain in the butt....

3. i'm used to use the front pickup as a thumbrest and do the plucking in between the 2 pickups.. but i was constantly rubbing my middlefinger on the pickup cover, and i couldn't even use my ringfinger :(

alltho it was easy when playing with a pick.. just rest your hand on it and start picking :)

4. That's probably why most of the of 'famous' Rick players like Chris Squire from Yes and Lemmy from Motörhead :p played/play with a pick. Without the pick up cover it is pretty easy to play with your fingers though (my Rick bass also is a pretty good slap bass).

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    First thing I did when I got mine was pull that cover off, Perfect place to rest your thumb right on top the pup! I do mostly play that bass with a pick, it just seems right!

6. I tried a 4001/V63 with the pickup cover, I play fingerstyle and it didn't bother me at all.

7. cough cough PAUL MCCARTNEY cough cough

8. the modern AllodoX features an ugly face, fat belly and... BIG hands... ;)

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My first bass was my old man's Fender Musicmaster, which he put a post production pickup cover on, so playing his Ric, which has one, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    How do you go about taking it off anyways? I can't seem to figure it out....if I mess with the big screws it just raises and lowers the pickup, but if I screw witht he 4 little screws it totally takes off the entire pickup mount.