Played on stage for the first time.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by G19Tony, Aug 2, 2019.

1. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    @Koog of the Blues Dawgs invited me to play a couple songs on drums with his band, before the start of the jam, while I was back in Iowa a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know either song, but I think gave them a useable beat. :help: It was really fun, and I think I got back to the one every time. :wideyed:

It went by quickly and I remember Koog coming over and saying, "stick with me" :) I understand why you guys like being on stage. I'd like to get up again sometime. Everyone in the band came by after and were very encouraging. :thumbsup:

It was an enjoyable experience. Thanks to @Koog and Kim for making it happen. :woot:

Since I played in Iowa, but live in Nevada, does this make me a national act? :roflmao:

2. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Yes, but you played the drums so you can still get fired. ;)

3. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    It's too late to turn back now Tony. What starts as "I'd like to get up again" slowly turns into "I NEED to get up again". :woot:

Don't worry. You'll have lots of support here when the cravings get strong but no gigs are booked. :laugh:

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    If you hadn't, I'm sure they would've given you a useable beating.

5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    It quickly turns into what happens to me. I go to a friend's show. They ask if I wanna get up. I say - No, I just want to watch you guys do your thing. An hour later I'm on stage.

6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Glad it went well. Your a rock star now .. time to hit the circuit... when will you be performing in New Jersey ? ;) ;)

Spidey2112, Bobro, Sore Thumb and 6 others like this.
  7. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Tony, a Des Moines native, dropped in from Vegas on June 21st to sit in at the regular Sunday Blues Jam at Boggs' Hull Avenue Tavern in Des Moines. "The Hull" is the oldest continuously operating tavern in the Des Moines area and, proudly, one of the top ten dive bars in the Universe. LOL

My good buddy Kim and I, dubbed The Bluesdawgs, have hosted this jam every Sunday, beginning in February of 2016. Kim still hosts and, just recently, I have pared down hosting on bass to once or twice a month. I was present for Tony's appearance on June 21.

Since this was Tony's first ever stage appearance, we thought it might be best if we brought him to the stage with the house band about 2/3 of the way through our set. We had played one of the songs for him during our sound check so he could get an idea of what to expect and, of course, hoped he would get some good ideas by listening to the first part of our set before bringing him to the stage. Tony and I agreed that it would not be a good thing to toss him to some of our crazy, spontaneous jammers and just hope he survived a train wreck.

We played a pretty straightforward Texas blues swing number in I, IV, V for him and then a typical hard beat traditional blues tune in 4/4 time. Tony delivered the goods on both songs. In fact, he did so well we planned on matching him up with another group of musicians later in the evening. As it turned out, we ended up with about 35 jamming musicians for the night, including about 5 additional drummers, so we couldn't, in fairness to the other musicians, bring Tony back up.

Tony did a great job, particularly for his first stage outing and considering in these types of jam sessions you seldom know in advance what is going to be played. I have invited him back and we expect to see him again September 15th.

I don't have good photos, as we had a shortage of bass players, so I spent nearly the entire night on stage. I will post a couple that were sent to me by a jam attendee....obviously not great photo quality....but they are the TB required proof that it happened.

The stage as we're setting up.

2.jpg

That blurry guy on the throne is Tony. That's Dave's right arm and shoulder next to Tony. Dave is a frequent sit in with the house ban as a second guitarist. He's a great guy and great player...professionally, he is an arson investigator, bomb and munitions expert, terrorism and other emergency first responder for one of the state law enforcement agencies, so we appreciate him for a lot more than his skills on guitar.
    1.jpg

Hey, Tony....thanks for joining us on the dive bar scene in Des Moines, IA. Hope you had as good a time as we did. Looking forward to seeing you again in September. We'll get better photos next time.

See ya.....Koog

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

all good stuff!

i like making jokes about 'the drummer' but the truth is: many of us would not have shot at any music scene/experience without the benefit of playing with a great cat on drums. good for you OP --- what's your backstory?

well, your at least a "touring musician!" :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 and Sore Thumb like this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey @G19Tony!

I think you now qualify as a touring musician! Way to go, buddy! :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

10. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Very cool! Now you're a pro, so you've got to get out there and do it again! Not many things are that much fun :)

Spidey2112, Bobro, McG and 1 other person like this.
  11. Now you've got the bug, watch out, it's contagious. All of the drama and BS that goes with being in a band can magically be forgiven when you're out there doing the real thing, on stage!

Congrats on surviving your maiden voyage. :thumbsup:

12. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks again, @Koog, I had a really good time. Thanks for the photo too. My friends that were supposed to show up, didn't. :( I'm practicing my shuffles and Kim told me to play louder. :woot: @BassCliff won't like to hear that! :sour:

Not much of backstory. Always liked the bass and drums. At 58, I decided to start learning. I've been taking drum lessons for about 15 months now. It comes slow, but I get there. I tried to teach myself the bass, now, I have an instructor come over once a week. I'm picking that up, too. Slowly. I've been able to work a lot more at it, since I've been grounded from my job by the FAA. I want to get as much in as I can, because when I get my medical certificate back, free time will be a lot less when I get back to flying.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

pretty impressive (at any age) that you could hold down the groove with some playing cats after only 15 months of experience! nice work! ;)

Spidey2112, Bobro, B-Lo and 4 others like this.
  14. Yep, you are definitely a gigging musician now!

Bobro, G19Tony and McG like this.
  15. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    :roflmao::roflmao:

16. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Blurry or not, Mr. Tony looks so natural behind the drums. :thumbsup:

Spidey2112, Bobro and Sore Thumb like this.
  17. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    It's not "slowly", at least it wasn't for me. I hit that point by the end of my first gig - age 10, school orchestra - and it has NEVER gone away. People are even willing to PAY you to do this!

Spidey2112, Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  18. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Congrats! Glad you enjoyed it.
    BUT...
    This just makes you a regional act...lol

G19Tony and Sore Thumb like this.
  19. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    That's fantastic. Didn't know you could play the drums.

G19Tony and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. Like getting paid to eat ice cream!

Renaissance and McG like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021