1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Played one of those Ammoon $75 J basses today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Nov 18, 2018.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Now I'm just like Scott Devine...minus the Fodera :D

The bassist/lead singer for The Grass Roots had one and let me play it during soundcheck at the gig we did with them. Man, he sure likes high action! I wasn't able to accurately judge the fretwork, but Mark said he had to sand down a few fret sprouts but it seemed pretty good otherwise to him. Then again, he would say that with as high as his action is. I used to have a couple of those SX Fender copies, and the fretwork was definitely subpar on them. I wouldn't expect perfection on a bass that costs even less than the SX, but it didn't feel too bad, despite the high action.

Soundwise it's identical to what you hear in Scott's Fodera/Ammoon comparison video. Sounds pretty good to me, and it sounded terrific when Mark was playing it, but the body is made of basswood, and basswood often throws me for a loop. It makes it super light (well under 8 lbs and closer to 7 according to company specs, and it feels like it), but it's a wood I never cared for. I have a P Lyte made of basswood, and it rejects vintage-style pickups and requires hot ones to have any balls to the tone. Still, Mark sounded excellent with it, and while it wasn't as hot as my Geezer-loaded PJ's, I think it could probably work. The pickups it comes with seem pretty reasonable...they had polepieces, unlike the ones in Scott's vid. The polepieces at least didn't stick up way high from the cover like the SX pickups. They do stick out a tad, but not nearly like the SX's.

So my question to myself is "Do I feel like dropping $75 on it when I know I'm just going to play the basses I already have?" Kind of, I do. But I won't. The light weight is a major draw for me, and that's why I mostly play my Hammersmith PJ, as it's my lightest PJ that sounds like I want. But I always find ways to be irritated by cheap basses, and I saw nothing in the Ammoon that makes me think that's going to change. Don't need anything like a Fodera, but I'm spoiled by my Hammersmith and American Fenders now. But still, for $75, it's really tough to beat.

Here's that vid with Scott's comparison if you haven't seen it:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't hate basswood, but I find even acoustically it doesn't have a lot of resonance. As far as having other basses you're going to play, I find that when you already have pro level gear, playing the lower end stuff just doesn't compare.

hrodbert696, tfer, Pbassmanca and 3 others like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I love the "Getting over on the Man" aspect of these cheapos, but I went through that phase with the SX's already and now they're gone, and I think that's what would happen if I got an Anmoon. I'd use it on a few gigs just to say I did it, then go back to the good ones. But I totally get Mark's enthusiasm over it. He's going to order the P, too.

Pbassmanca and TomB like this.
  4. I value these basses as modding platforms and for the weight. At the price, you could upgrade everything and have a pro-level instrument that cost less than a new Squier, and is much lighter.

I wish I had a bass that I *knew* was basswood, just for comparison purposes. I have a Squier Affinity P that is supposed to be basswood, but it does not feel much lighter than my alder Mexi-P. I still believe these Ammoon, etc., instruments are paulownia. I bought a paulownia P body from GFS. It weighs 2.5 pounds.

el_Bajo_Verde and JimmyM like this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that nobody has much bad to say about these couch change basses is flabbergasting in a good way

el_Bajo_Verde, gungrog, HD007 and 2 others like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well Mark's a pro and he's using it stock :D It's not bad as it sits but I get what you're saying. Never will turn into a silk purse but it's not a sow's ear, either.

You may be right, wouldn't know. The descriptions I've seen all say basswood, but I was pretty blown away by how light it was. Squier Affinity definitely doesn't weigh that little.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Hehehe...the Grass Roots.
    Veering off topic for a moment, a band I ran sound for in the early'90s had a huge road case that carried about 2 dozen par 56 lights for us.
    It was yellow, and had The Grass Roots logo stenciled on it.
    One night we discovered that it had a false bottom, and there were old stems and seeds in there.
    Could have been a subsequent owner's modification, but I like to think it was original.

shadven, MCF, TN WOODMAN and 7 others like this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd like to see Anmoon do a PJ or even better a PP, but I'd really dig a $75 Fender Rascal

InternetAlias likes this.
  9. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    This Grass Roots?

Flooflox, MCF, Robert B and 2 others like this.
  10. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I'm sure you may have seen my posts espousing the virtues of the $59.99 (now even a couple bucks less!) no name P basses. My main point is that they play fine and won't cause a beginner to give up and cry. They won't burst into flame when plugged in.
    I got one that I really liked and dropped some quarter pounders in it. That's my "playing a crazy party" bass.

TN WOODMAN, InternetAlias and JimmyM like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It happens. I grabbed something called a Baltimore PB at GC for something like $57 new purely with the intent of routing a swiming pool
    in it to test pickups and electronics.

But once I got it home and played it for awhile I discovered it’s actually a very nice bass. Didn’t sound half bad to be honest. Had a modern grindy sort of PB vibe going for it with its no name pups. Tuners were solid and not at all cheap feeling. Bridge was nice and tight and displayed no drift. Truss rod adjustment worked smoothly. Neck profile is flat and a little on the wide feeling side. Not exactly my cuppa. But it played well and it was easy to get used to. And much to my surprise, you can set the action incredibly low on it. And then there’s that Dr. Seuss inspired pick-guard and metallic candy apple red finish (nicer than some finishes on a few big name basses I own) which I have to admit quickly grew on me.

B01FE7DD-CF75-4A40-B607-058AF9BF5CD3.

So I eventually just dropped an inexpensive GHS classic wound alnico pickup in it to scale down the aggressive tone (which would have been ideal for early punk rock if I left it alone) and called it a day.

It’s a fun bass that gets a lot of “what IS THAT???” looks and comments any time I bring it somewhere.

Sometimes, like a new baby, you just don’t know what you’ve got till you get it home.

retslock, Bass V, SirMjac28 and 5 others like this.
  12. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Hey,,, I have that bass...
    Z4aNqUXbu-iSks4l8uChcSH4j4pvPJtNM7D5STU-uvGB2yeo7w4MWlXYOvCT8iwhpTL4iE5kPF8Aj0zLIp7=w710-h711-no.

13. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

I think a playable, lightweight, 34" scale bass for under $100 is an excellent choice for a student's first instrument. 1.) They get used to a full sized bass early on. 2.) If they find out bass isn't their instrument they won't lose their shirt flipping it. 3.) They buy time before an upgrade. They could use it on a gig or keep it as a backup. For those of us who have more time invested in this music thing it may not be a wise use of funds. If you have an extra $75 hanging around, would you spend it all on an overpriced hamburger? Probably not. There are better ways to spend the money. How about a set of TI flats? Or some foil shielding tape, a soldering gun, some wire and a first aid kit? That's not even mentioning the Pandora's Box known as the world of effects. Cheerio.

JimmyM likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It was original, I'm sure. Rob Grill was pretty well known in our circles for liking his weed.

Sort of. They were always Rob Grill with a handful of other musicians until Rob died. Now the handful of other musicians who were working with them got a bass player/singer and keep it going with Rob's blessing. Extremely talented dude.

Now that is my kind of budget bass :D

KeithAlanK likes this.
  15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    This is pleasing to hear - I never clicked with the idea that beginner / student instruments should be barely-playable crap, so it's good that a budget instrument is also a decent instrument.

el jeffe bass and JimmyM like this.
  16. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Please share the knowledge with us, oh dear master, I too would like to see a $60 bass when new.

JimmyM likes this.
  17. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Your kind of amp too:thumbsup: . Not budget of course.

Got that bass for very cheep years ago, and a friend who was working as finish guy with a luthier in Austin got me the hook up, and they got it into working condition. Glued down peeling laminate, cut new saddles for the bridge, replaced the tuners, and tightened a bunch of loose stuff. All parts he had laying around his shop.

I've actually done quite a few gigs with it, and have always found a place for it on every recording I've done since I got it.

Sorry for the hijack!!

el jeffe bass and JimmyM like this.
  18. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I was always curious about those Amoon basses. I want a cheap bass to leave at the practice space. My main Jazz bass is almost 12llbs so that's quiet a weight difference. I think it would bother me being that light. I like a little heft in my basses. Some say wood and weight doesn't affect the tone of a bass but whether or not it's in my mind, I think it matters. I don't think I like basswood or paulownia.
    I always keep my eye out on those Omega Jazz bass copies on Rondomusic. (same site that sells SX).

The Mogpipe and JimmyM like this.
  19. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    el jeffe bass likes this.
  20. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    el jeffe bass and Bass Man Dan like this.