1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Played "OUT" for the first time today!!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by IotaNet, Apr 8, 2006.

1. :hyper: :hyper:

All of you seasoned bassists may not be impressed but as a 44-year old newbie, I'm kinda geeked!

I have been piddling around on bass for a bit over a year --trying to get good enough to start playing in church. I finally found a nice church with cool musicians who were willing to work with/teach me.

Attended my first rehearsal this afternoon and for the first time, I actually played in front of somebody besides my mirror! The coolest part was playing live music with live people (a drummer and an organist on a B3) -- what a rush!!!

I learned today that I have a long way to go and it was only practice. It will be a while before I am "performance ready" but it was also nice to be able to interact with people musically. It was a real blast and I just had to share it!

2. MjaMjo

MjaMjo

Jan 1, 2006
    Congratulations man, that's great!
    I hope you're gigworthy soon, as playing in front of a crowd for the first time will be even better, I assure you!

Way to go :)

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Thats great!

It really inspires me that you are so inspired! :D

4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    That's very cool and the coolest part is yet to come. Playing in front of an audience is always a thrill.....it simply never gets old and is exciting every time.

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Cool!!! I quit playing drums and switched to bass at church about 7 years ago. Never looked back.

The church was pretty good sized - about 3,000 per weekend and I was still playing drums but would play bass along with the 2nd band that played opposite my band. I got a call at 2 pm on a Saturday to play that weekend (1 Saturday night service, 3 Sunday services) and that was the end of my drum playing, except for subbing. I was about your age, too!

ENJOY!

Dan K.
    :hyper:

6. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    Awesome, great to hear that! Although I started playing in the church at a young age(14), I still have a long way to go too.

Just remember that when you play in front of the congregation, it's not a performance anymore. It's leading God's people into worship and that should be the main focus :)

7. Awesome!!!

...and I second the notion that a real crowd will be an even bigger rush. Not ready for that on bass by any means (just started learning it in January), but once upon a time, in my trombone playing days...:) Keep it up, the payoff will be worth it!

8. +1,000,000
    Same here -

I played Trombone many years ago in High-school/College. (My only musical claim to fame is that Branford Marsalis was my bandmate/classmate in college.) I played in the SU Marching band and got my share of applause in places like the Superdome, Astrodome, etc.

What happened today was different -- probably because the size of the ensemble was so small or perhaps because I have wanted to be a bassist for so long.

I was kinda feeling like, "Look, Ma -- I'm playing bass!"

9. :D Excellent!! That way of putting it really captures the feeling...I look forward to someday getting that buzz too.

So you're another ex-trombone player--I've noticed quite a few on here. How did the transition go for you? I found myself trying to "unlearn" the slide positions for the notes as I was learning the fretboard, 'cause all I was doing was confusing myself...did you hit any similar walls?

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Outstanding. Glad to hear it. There's so much more fun ahead. Keep on going. :)

11. Hey there,
    That is so cool. Glad it went well over all. Haven't got to that
    point yet but we're the same age so can relate. Keep at it
    and keep us updated.

Cheers,
    Douglas
    Texas

12. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Rock on, man!!! It is always a rush to play in front of people, but there ain't nuthin' like the first time. Congratulations!!!

And don't you worry about being a 44 y.o. newbie. There's plenty of us in here!

Cherie (43, been playing for nearly four years)

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My advice is don't worry about being gig ready. Playing live is an education in itself. I would do it every time I got the chance if i were you. You will only get better and the audience is actually pretty forgiving unless you screw up grossly and very frequently.