1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

played some basses at a store today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 6, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I went to sound control today and I played a few high end basses. I was very dissapointed with 2 of them in particular:

first the gibson thunderbird, it had a strap button on the back of the body(good for getting rid of neck dive) however the rest of the bass seemed pretty mediocore, the pickups were boomy, and the it was hard to get much treble out of it. the finish was terrible, i prefered the far cheaper epiphone one. and more importantly you could access up to about the 15th fret.

Second is the Line 6 Variax, i was totally amazed by the adverts and the sound clips on the line 6 site, however in this case it was totally differant, there wasent much differance between the vintage jazz and the classic jazz. and the rest of them apart from the synth bass. the bass itself didnt feel quite right either, the thumbrest got thinner in the middle for some reason

Im not sure if it is actually because these basses arnt that good or the fact that the strings on them were so new that you couldent hear much of the actual bass.

anyone else experience these things with these 2 basses?

2. I temporarily owned a Thunderbird. I think I was so excited at the thought of being able to maximize rockage with the axe that I didn't really sit down to play it. The tone was too muddy and the neck dive really did make it uncomfortable. I traded it for a Stingray within a couple months and am much happier, though I still miss the jazz I traded for it initially. Never played the Variax, but I'm genuinely interested to see what it's like.

3. Weasel

Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    Well, for the Variax and clips on Line6´s website... It´s same thing with cars, like if car manufaturer tells their car will go from 0 to 100 in 7 secs it DOESN´T mean that YOU could do that, the car was driven by Jean Alesi or someone else, whos pro.

So maybe, just maybe the tonal difference was the player not the bass. Not to mention amp and cab, acoustics and so on.

When I tested Variax I found it usable, for studio. In live it would be a real headache for sound engineerer... I guess.

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    On the site they recorded it through a BassPodXT or something, so i guess they processed it a lot more than just than just the bass itself