Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Played some basses today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fookgub, Sep 23, 2005.

1. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I was at GC picking up a shipping box (which they hooked up for free :) ), and I just couldn't resist the temptation to check a few things out.

Bongo 4: It's everything the fanatics say it is!!! Really, it had lots of great tones, and played awesome. I had no trouble slapping even though I'm used to a 'ray style bass with 20mm spacing. In fact, I didn't notice the narrow spacing or the fact that the pickup was right were I would usually slap at all. EBMM got this bass right... it's perfect in every way, and may even be the best 4-string I've ever played. :hyper:

Marcus Miller Jazz: Total tone machine. I've never been much for jazz basses, but this thing really sounded awesome (both passive and active). Played good too, and had a nice lively feel when unplugged.

Geddy Jazz: Didn't like it. Sorry. Played it right after the Miller, and I thought the Miller wiped the floor with it tonewise. I liked the thin neck, but kept wishing for a smaller fingerboard radius. Looks cool thoguh :cool:

Parts bass w/ Moses neck: The body and pickups were total junk. But the bass had a huge unplugged sound and was very resonant. Besides the nasty buzzing, it sounded good plugged in... very deep and ballsy. The neck felt great, too (really great, actually). I think those graphite neck guys might be on to something. As for the supposed flaws in the Moses necks, I didn't notice any... but I was too busy tearing up on it to look closely.

Just thought I'd share :D

2. I too happened to play a Bongo and a Geddy Lee jazz today. And I'd have to agree with the comments about the Bongo. I'm GASing for it right now. The Geddy Lee jazz was decent, I liked the neck, had a good tone(well, thats after playing my friends bass at his house and he has a really ****ty tone...he says he has it that way to be more melodic, but...its not, it sounds...hmmm, dead would be the word), so I my ears may have been deceived.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, I don't know about being decieved. Could be you just liked the Geddy... lot's of people here do. I'm not one of them (for right now anyway), but it's all just opinion.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Funny, I played some basses today too.

Heh. I kill me.

I like the look of the Geddy but was disappointed with the sound. Preferred the Miller there. Usually GC is a funny place to visit.